Idle Air Control Valve

Hi i Have a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88, 3.8L V6, vin3, port fuel injection, car. I started getting a really high idle on cold days, cold engine.
I took it to have the "Service engine soon" light codes retrieved and
got a bad "TPS" and "Idle Air Control Valve" codes. Both were replaced with GP Sorensen parts and i still get the high idle and the service engine soon light still comes on. After replacing the parts i get the check engine light on almost all the time now.
What would be causing the problem? Could it be defective parts?
Myc
did you recheck the codes?free at advance or autozone.
Both parts require specific adjustment procedures using the OBD system. Did you follow those procedures? Neither of those parts can just be removed and replaced without correct adjustments.
Dave S(Texas)

Check it over real good for a vacuum leak on a cold day. Use some WD-40 and spray around the manifold while you listen for the engine to drop the idle speed. Also check each line and connection for cracks.
-
On 3 Nov 2005 20:09:51 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net"

That happened to me, after I replaced an Idle Air Control Valve, on my old Olds Cutlass Cruiser. It was 1988, with a 3.8 engine. I had to clear the computer, a couple of times, by removing the battery connection. Then it ran fine.