Knocking noise in 99 Sunfire GT

I bought my 99 sunfire gt 2.4L last spring and within a few months it started to make a knocking sound when I had the car at about

2500rpm?s. We checked the oil and it was low, but close to an oil change time anyways. So we topped up the oil and took it in to the dealership where we bought it. They said it was normal and nothing to worry about. Had another mechanic look at it. Was told it might be the valve sticking but nothing to worry about. Ok fine. Skip to yesterday. The bf was driving it and noticed the knocking noise suddenly get much louder. And its quite loud. Theres no other indication there could be something wrong with the car. I have for as long as I have had the car had to add one quart of oil between oil changes. Dad told me if I noticed no problems with the car then it was normal, not to worry about it. It shifts fine, its not bogging out, no leaks. Fluids all look fine. Ijust had an oil change on it last week. Coolant looks fine. And as long as I don?t drive around 2300-2800rpms theres no sound. Any ideas? We?re going to get my bf?s dad to look at it tonight but I can?t afford some huge repair if I have to take it to the garage. Both my bf & his dad are very mechanical so they could very likely fix it but would love some input before hand. Ive spent all morning hunting for answers so I hope one of you will be able to help! At this point we?re just going to keep driving it. I have no choice- its our only car atm.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
sunbubble

If it's more of a knock than a tapping, could be rod bearings.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

For your information, we have the same Sunfire GT (2.4L). We never had to add engine oil nor experience engine knocking during start up or at proper operating temperature.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

none

Whatever it is, it's not "normal" be sure you get something in writing from that Dealer. Does it knock under load or at that rpm with no load?

Reply to
Bob D.

The place we got it from is closed up and gone- they got caught giving out fake emissions tests... they only have their sales department open now. No repair service. *Sigh*

I was told before it might be the rod bearings/ or valve levers-(which is what it sounds like). Is it expensive to get the rod bearings or levers changed? Is it possible to change without going to a licensed garage?

Reply to
sunbubble

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

weren't

giving

levers-(which

With the progression of noise you talk about you could be close to a catostrophic engine failure if you don't fix it now so don't keep driving it around waiting for it. If it's a top end noise then it's a few hundred. Add a zero if it's a rod. I bet they knew when they sold it and when you came back and the lot's guy said it was only a ticking lifter. You've been hosed.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"msfortune" wrote: > sunbubble wrote: > > "blank3" wrote: >  > > For your information, we have the same Sunfire GT > (2.4L). We >  > > never had to >  > > add engine oil nor experience engine knocking > during start up >  > > or at proper >  > > operating temperature. >  > >

THought you all might like to know its a valve lifter. I had one garage tell me the whole engine needed to be replaced. Two other mehcanics told me that it was a vlave lifter. Its being replaced this weekend by my father in law. Thank goodness its not as massive as it first seemed. And yes it was probably screwed up when I got it. Oh well. Its getting fixed and at this point thats all that matters. Thanks for all yourhelp

Reply to
sunbubble

>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.> > req'd). Report> >  > > abuse:> >  > >

Thanks for reporting back. It does help to know. The puzzle is how come it took so long for anybody to determine the bad lifter.

Reply to
Al Bundy