Need Malibu advice..missed something!

I missed earlier posts on the 2004 Malibu. We are just checking out cars and are test driving one now. It appears to be a great car, certainly a step up from the old Malibu. Our service guy is comparing it to the Camry and the Accord. While I realize those two cars have their own following and good historys, I am seeing things in this Malibu I like. For the money it has more than other cars in its class. It appears to be tight, quiet, and has good pick-up. Of course, repair history would be scanty at this time, as it is relatively new. Any recommendations before we buy? We drive our cars forever, both in years and miles, so we want an investment in a vehicle that will last.

Reply to
Barbara Wells

I personally avoid 1st year production runs on newly redesigned vehicles regardless of make/model. They typically have the highest problem rates and greatest number of TSBs/recalls. But, if you like it...go for it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Actually most comparison reports I've seen compare the Camry, Accord & Impala - not the Malibu.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Actually, I think I started that thread, but that was before my family sat in one. It's not wide enough for me and my better half :(

Now, just to be a d**k, does anyone know exactly *where* the 3.5L engine in this car comes from? I have a friend who claims that GM has ordered some Toyota engines and are sticking them in certain 2004 vehicles. I am sceptical, but he goes on to say that Toyota has also purchased transmissions from GM for the Camry line....

Sorry for trolling on this one, but I would like to know about this.

Vuarra

Vuarra

Guess it comes from Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. I'm not sure about Toyota buying trannys from GM for their Camrys but I do know that BMW bought 5L40-Es (I think that's the tranny) for their cars from GM.

Reply to
Barbara Schmid

Very interesting... thank you for the info :)

I remember that ( I also think they still do, but I don't drive Bimmers very much :) . However, the cast surface of the Solara transmission is very different than that of the engine (I-4). Vuarra

Vuarra

The Pontiac Vibe and Chevrolet Prizm before it have Toyota-designed engines. Along with much of the rest of the cars.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

"Vuarra" wrote

The 3.5 engine in the Malibu is nothing more then a slightly enlarged 3400 engine. It's certainly not a Toyota engine. Your friend may be thinking of the Pontiac Vibe which is basically a Toyota Matrix.

As we say here, the 3.5 is the "same shit, different pile" as the 3100-3400....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Funny how GM in the US and Toyota are still a couple (you know what I mean :-). But here is Australia Holden (GM) and Toyota split up. Rebadged Corollas (Holden Nova) and Camry's (Holden Apollo) And then Toyota Lexcen (Holden Commodore).

-- Regards Dan.

Reply to
Dan---