noise from dash....

Hi all,
This is what my son says about the symptoms on his 1996 Chevy Blazer 4.3 2wd: noise from his dash during deceleration and sometimes idle. During acceleration no noise. Sounds like a whine.
I am sorry but that's all the info I have but when he comes for a visit I will know more.
Thanks Hank from PA
It could bethe Speedometer Cable going to the back of your speedometer?
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_