Oil change computer?

I have a 2002 Venture LS (bought in Mexico but manufactured in the US). I'm confused because the owners manual states that oil change should be performed every 12,500 kilometers (about 7,500 miles), this was a change from the 2001 model which prescribed it every 5,000 km (3,000 mi).

My cofusion arises from the built in oil indicator displayed on the odometer which asks for a change around 5,000 km (just like in the

2001).

I wonder if it is a problem with the programming of the computer or if this is a real "Oil analyzer" that indicates when the oil is not longer doing its job.

Thanks for your advice.

BTW. Since the 2002 and 2001 are basically the same car, how can GM change its oil change interval so dramatically? (no syntetic or other special requirement is mentioned, just 5W30).

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez

What owners' manual version is that? Most of the GM manuals just say to change the oil when the oil change light comes on, or every certain number of months at most.

The 12,500 km figure is probably for non-severe service (ex: mostly highway driving). The 5000 km interval will be for severe service. The oil change light will probably come on somewhere in between these intervals..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

OK, it's not the owners manual but the guaranty policy which lists the maintenance program. Although my use is a 50-50% city/highway, the light comes on before the 5,000Km.

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez

I forgot to mention, I reset the computer when the light came on before the first 5,000Km and it lasted another 4,000+ Km to turn on again. If it were a real oil-analyzer it should be on again very soon, right?

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez

It's not an oil analyzer, rather an oil life calculator based on engine temperature, RPM, load, etc.

Reply to
Neo

On some GM cars, the oil life calculator is very simple. If you drive the car less than three miles between starts, it counts those miles against a 3000 mile oil change interval. If you drive it more than three miles between starts, it counts those miles against a 7500 mile oil change interval. On mine, it nearly always calculates the interval between 6000 and 7500 miles, but I always change at 5000 miles.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross