Ontario Emission DriveClean Test

Page 1 of 2
Could someone please tell me if you own a 1987 vehicle, on which day it will qualify to be exempted from the Ontario DriveClean emission test? Does it mean that Jan 1, 2007? Or does it mean Jan 1, 2008 when it
will be exempted?

It is exempt when it is 20 model years old. The last year for testing 1987 models is this year.
It's all here: www.driveclean.com Click on "FAQ: Historic vehicles..."
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

So, like some of our states, if it is old and pollutes a lot, you can let it get older, pollute even more and we'll make it exempt.
A few weeks ago, I was on a two lane road, no place to pass, following a mid-70's Old. I was actually getting sick from the fumes and had to drop back quite a bit to get some clean air.
wrote in message

Problem is, 20-year old cars make up perhaps 1% of the cars on the road. And most of those are not daily drivers.
Are you aware that the air is 57% cleaner in absolute terms now than it was in 1970? That's in spite of a 153% increase in vehicular traffic. The US federal EPA says so and you could look it up.
Including 20+ cars is pure politics and social engineering. It accomplishes nothing except make those cars more expensive and problematic to own, which is the point.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
wrote in message

The entire Ontario drive clean program is one big load of bullshit. It is a cash-grab, and nothing more. You mention that the 20 year and older cars only make up 1% of the cars on the road (I would give a higher %, but that is besides the point), yet they don't have to be e-tested. If your car is less then 5 model years old, you don't have to pass. Also, if you bring your car in to get tested, it fails, and the expense to repair is going to exceed $600, you don't have to pass either. There should have been *one* rule when making this bullshit program up: Either *everyone* has to pass or NO-ONE does.

Yep. In California, my brother's '87 Civic wasn't passing smog when he took it in for the smog check in the mid 90's. It almost passed. The mechanic adjusted the carb so it'd run real lean. It passed but ran like shit. So after the test, my brother adjusted it back up.
-

Exactly. The e-testing system itself is so flawed, its not even funny. If everyone was doing it, and doing it right, it *may* make a difference. However, with huge factories, airplanes and the like on this world, causing the pollution they do, I can't see how e-testing only a small number of cars is going to change anything.
How about trucks and buses?
Al

Most cars 1987 and older are not daily drivers and are driven in summer months on weekends..

Not quite right, if they are 5 yrs and newer they don't have to be tested. since most new cars have warrenties for 5 yrs and people will generally keep their vehicles in top condition for 5 yrs.

The vehicle can get a conditional pass if the repairs cost over the cap (which is only provided for the first two testing periods) when drive clean is introduced to a "new" region, after the cap period has run its course the vehicle must have all requiered repairs done no matter the cost if you want it to pass .
I'd like them to smog test motorcycles.
Snow...
I'd like them to NOISE test motorcycles!
Al

Sure, cars from the 60's and 70's are not usually daily drivers, but I still see tons of mid 80's cars around here. Plus, which pollutes more, a 1980 Chevy, or a 2000 Chevy? Likely the 1980.

No offence, but that is BS to me. If someone with a 1999 Chevy can't tell if the car is polluting, how can someone with a 2005 Chevy? Sometimes the 'Check Engine' light will come on when an emission related component fails, but not always. And car's don't yet have a 'Your Car Is Poluting The Air' light yet.

That still makes no sense. Car's should either have to pass, or not have to pass. It's all a big cash-crab. Hell, in towns 2 hours away from me, there is no e-testing at all. Same province, they just haven't gotten there yet.

It will eventually happen.

207.14.116.130:

road.

All of this guilt trip over driving your car is to divert public attention from the WORST air polluters.....jet airplanes and power plants, the worst of the worst corporate polluters.
Delta Airlines' jet fuel buyer was on MSNBC discussing fuel prices with the stock broker talking heads complaining this was eating into profits becuase JUST DELTA AIRLINES BURNED 9.4 BILLION GALLONS IN 2004!
If we're REALLY interested in air quality, we need to turn off the oil burners that make my patio black with soot and build NUCLEAR power plants....
I'm doing my part with my 33-year-old Mercedes 220 Diesel, shortly I hope: http://www.frybrid.com / At one corner near my home, I've already gotten commitments for over 190 gallons of used frying oil per WEEK!...FREE! Jabulon's oil barons can kiss my ass!
--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

190

Thanks for doing your part to help the environment. If more people were like you, the Earth would be a lot better off. As it is, people put more effort into planning their weekly TV viewing schedules than thinking about energy, conservation, saving the Earth. My brother had an '85 Mercedes 300TD wagon and he ran veggie oil in it. Some idiot ran into him and totaled it though. He's looking for a 1970's 240D now. He was thinking of starting a co-cop for used veggie oil. We were to process it, and sell it in like 10 gallon containers. They could take the containers home and use them as needed. Then bring the containers back to get refilled.
-

Am I the only one to notice how CLEAN and BLUE the sky was in the week after 9/11 when they grounded them all? Not one word, of course, was said about it on any of the Propaganda News Channels the corporations run from Airline ad money.
Of course, that also stopped the chemical seeding in all those contrails. Go to google and put
contrails seeding
into the search engine. There's thousands of websites, now.....and great movies on the subject.
HAARP weapon - be very afraid. www.haarp.com
Cars aren't polluting the planet beyond repair any more than 2-stroke outboard motors are polluting the lakes to death.
--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

It was mentioned on one of the 5 year memorial TV shows... but they were talking about how remarkably clear the skies were at the time of the WTC attack, not after the planes were grounded.
Mike

were

WTC

The sky over Charleston, SC, here on the trailing edge of the Westerlies, went from its normal whitish grey with purple sunsets to the most beautiful blue I think I've ever seen in my 60 years. It stayed that way until the day AFTER they filled the skys with oil burners, again. I haven't seen it since.
One of the jobs I used to do is run a mobile calibration laboratory for EIL Instruments, a government electronics contractor. We towed a trailer lab from FAA site to site calibrating their test equipment. One Sunday, we ended up stranded at the FAA long range radar facility near Benson, NC, in the Eastern corridor, a radar with a 300 mile range. I sat around on my day off with the duty technicians in the radar room. They have a test station, a full radar operating station you can see all the targets, IFF targets FAA calls "Beacons", for about 300 miles in all directions from the huge multimegawatt S-band radar beast rotating overhead. A computer controls it all and presents the targets and you can put the cursor over one of them and get all kinds of information from the beacon system. The radar counted the targets on this Sunday afternoon in about 1980-81 in central NC. There were over 380 targets painted on that screen, the REAL polluters of the air over North Carolina, a huge cluster of oil burners.
It's not your car......
--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Common logical error.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
The only "ONLY" reason for the E-Test, is a money grab for the government!!!
That's great for conserving our resources but how clean is the exhaust coming out of that car?
Al

Oh, I'm sure if we read the oil company sponsored reports it will completely cover the planet in 3" of frying oil in about 3 weeks, if allowed to continue.....
Does it matter whether I burn 21 gallons of it over 1300 miles in the Benz or the recovery company sells it to the electricity corporations to burn in the power plant?
Pollution - Watching the Space Shuttle launch from Charleston, SC.....