Power steering fluid or universal synthetic ATF for my 94 Lumina?

Going to flush out the system and replace the lines, what should I use, power steering fluid (and if so which one from the ol' store?) or Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF that I have? Thanks.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Your owners manual should tell you exactly what to use. It should say power steering fluid and NOT ATF.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I already have the Amsoil ATF, and on the box it states it is an acceptable for power steering use in GM, Ford, Opel, and something else I forget offhand. That's why I asked.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I find it very hard to believe that any kind of ATF would stand up to the heat and pressure of a power steering system.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

actually, at one time atf was acceptable - at least in gm's it was. but then in 1968, all gm's changed over to power steering fluid & it's been that way ever since as far as i know.... i can't imagine why they would now decide to take a step backwards. both are designed to be used as a hydraulic pressure fluid, but i know that atf is aimed towards not being so much of a lubricant that it would cause slippage in the clutchpacks of the trans, whereas one would think that one would want power steering fluid to have friction modifiers added to reduce friction as much as possible to extend part & seal life, since there's no need to worry about clutches slipping in a power steering system anywhere. now, if your systems seals & hoses are made of the correct type of rubber & wont be eaten by the atf, then the atf will undoubtedly work ( i know from experience that the beginning years if you put atf in 68 & later cars it'd eat the seals right out of your steering box, but maybe newer cars they figured people wont follow directions so they put in seals that will tolerate everything from 90wt to liquid oxygen ) - but i'd think that the system would last longer in the long run with power steering fluid, especially if it's got friction modifiers in it to reduce friction as much as possible. i could be wrong, but hey - if you're going to put a synthetic in it believing it's going to last longer, why not get one specifically targeted for power steering systems only?

Reply to
superchuckles