Q: Brakes went to the floor in car what could this be?

Hi, I recently purchased a 1987 Cavalier. Yesterday when I was out driving I went to slow down, and the brakes went right to the floor and then the
brake light came on. I was just barely able to get it home. What would cause this? Could it be low brake fluid, brake lines, or could it be the brakes themselves? Any help on diagnosing this, would really be appreciated! Thank You!
Master Cylinder... that's been the cause on every Cav I've delt with. I even got rear ended by one that did this.

The brake light coming on suggests that you may have lost your brake fluid. Check you fluid. If empty, check for the leak.
It happened all of a sudden with no gradual problem? I would say you sprung a leak somewhere in the system. If the fluid is low then the leak is probably a line / connector. If fluid level is normal, it's probably that the cylinder is not sealed anymore and is leaking fluid by.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
snipped-for-privacy@smuckers.net says...

Found the leak, it is the brake line on the back axle got an appointment to get it fixed this Monday Thanks to everyone who gave me help on this!
You blew a brake line. Fill with fluid and have someone pump then, then watch for the leak. You will need to replace the line ( they have them at auto parts store) then bleed system.
says...

@rochester.rr.com says...

THANK YOU!!