question about obd1

just curious..... i was reading in my haynes manual about putting a jumper from the a &b terminal on the obd1 diagnostic port to get the trouble codes to flash on the instrument panel... i noticed it said to
not turn the engine over or start the vehicle when the jumper was in place and am just cutious what would happen in that event.

With GM cars it goes into field diagnostic mode where the Service engine light flashes according to:
1. Open/Closed loop. 2. When in closed loop, the leaness or richness of the mixture. Fast flashing is rich, slow is lean.
vanman wrote:

It doesn't hurt anything, in fact that is how you set the timing on my s-10.
sorry...i was out of town for a few days.... thx for the info... still wondering why the book would give a warning about not starting it with the a & b jumpers in place though.....