Radiator Fan 1987 Delta 88

Page 1 of 2
All, I posted this over in another group as well, my apologies fro the duplication; but it seems like ther is a bit more activity here.
Anyway, hello, and thanks in advance for any advice provided.

I have an olds 1987 delta 88. I can't find an engine code, it's a 3.8L,
I count 6 spark plug wires, but all the parts stores tell me this model
is only available in a V8. So, I have no idea what model or even really
what size the motor is, other then it is definetly a 3.8L.
The radiator fan seized, followed by severe overheating. It's possible that the head gaskets are blown now; but I'm willing to try the fan replacement first.
I removed the fan assembly, and then disassembled the motor. Nary a bit
of insulation on the windings, which I suppose would explain its failure to turn.
I called O'reilly, and they quoted a price around $60, _including_ the shroud that the fan motor mounts in, as well as the fan blade. Seems a bit low to me, but hey....I'm not complaining. The mechanic we took it to first wanted $350 for one.
My two questions:
1. There is also a resistor mounted on the shroud. Looks to me to be in
bad shape (although I havn't measured its resistance yet) - does anyone
know if this bit also comes with the new assy? (No big deal, just curious. I'm sure I can afford a new one).
2. I'm guessing there is a sensor somewhere that triggers the fan. I'm thinking I might just as well replace it while I'm at it - unfortunately I have no idea where it is on the block. Any tips on it's
location?
Thanks much! Matt

The only engine available in a 1987 Olds Delta 88 is a 3.8L V6. If the part stores are telling you it has to be a V8, call another part store.

Electric rad fans are RARELY sold in pieces, you have to buy the whole thing. Also, who is O'Reilly? Bill O'Reilly?

Depends on weather or not the "resistor" is before the fan connecter or after. If it's on the fan side of the connector, then it will come with it. I can't even see the resistor or a connector in the wiring diagram.

RH side of engine, near alternator. However, the components that have a say in whether the fan comes on or not is not limited to the temperature switch. The A/C pressure switch, the HVAC controls and vehicle speed sensor also have a role in telling the fan to come on.
Steve
Steve -
Thanks much.
"The only engine available in a 1987 Olds Delta 88 is a 3.8L V6. If the part stores are telling you it has to be a V8, call another part store. "
So noted. Thanks for the tip, it jives with my count of the SP wires.
"Electric rad fans are RARELY sold in pieces, you have to buy the whole
thing. Also, who is O'Reilly? Bill O'Reilly? "
OReilly is a local parts chain; and I"m glad to hear that fans don't come in peices. The resistor (Well, Im guessing it's a resistor - one terminal on each end, whie, about 1" square an 4" long. It's far too grimy get an spec info off of it though. It's mounted on the shroud, and is connected as as follows:
Black from the harness connector to one end of the resitor. White from the harness connector to the other end of the resistor.
A black lead from the same terminal on the resistor that the white wire is connected to goes to the fan.
A black lead with white stripe laed from the fan harness connector goes to the other fan wire.
"RH side of engine, near alternator. However, the components that have a say in whether the fan comes on or not is not limited to the temperature switch. The A/C pressure switch, the HVAC controls and vehicle speed sensor also have a role in telling the fan to come on. "
Sweet. Oh well, I guess all I can do is hope those components are functional, as replacing them is over my head. I know for sure the fan is complete toast.
THANKS SO MUCH for you help, and one more silly question:
Because of all the oher components that turn the fan on - would there be any harm in simply running a toggle switch to the passenger compartment and cycling the swith manually? This model car has what I would call an excellent engine temp monitor.
I know, it's a stupid idea. But I just lost my job, this is the only car I have, and ended up with purely through circumstance 3 days ago. I just need it to run until I get another job.
Matt

You're on your own with this one, reuse it, buy a new one or maybe it'll come with the new fan.

To switch the fan on and off manually, get a two position toggle switch, like you said. Hook one terminal of the switch to ground. Now, find the fan control relay, "LH front of engine compartment, on bracket". There are four wires coming out of it:
BRN (brown) - hot in run RED - hot at all times DK GRN (dark green) - to control components WHT (white) - fan motor output
Splice into the DK GRN wire from the other terminal of the toggle switch. Be sure not to cut the DK GRN wire and leave it cut or the fan will never come on. Now the fan will operate normally, but at the flick of a switch you can turn it on manually.
Steve
Steve -
Thank you so very much, you've no idea how much I appreciate it.
Matt

When should I expect the cheque to arrive in my mail box?
Uh, Steve can we spell check properly (ha, ha)

-
Uh, Shep, come on. Where am I from? In Canada, "check" is the same as the US except when talking about the money type. Then it's "cheque."
Steve

Steve -
When I get a job, I'll be happy to send you along whateever amount you deem to be fair. The idiots at the mechanic shop wanted $350 for a $30 motor, so you decide whats fair. It will be a while, but trust me, I keep my word. You saved me a great deal of money, were polite, and provdied extensive follow up. Not trivial things, if you ask me. Paypal or personal checks are options.
One more STUPID question, however.
Went to the parts store, got the new motor. Joe behind the counter says "ugh... they come in right and left, and I dont know what that means. I assumed it meant which side of the shroud it mounted on, and is mounted just fine on the proper side of the shroud, I figured I was OK.
When I got home, the great light bulb came on and I realized it meant directional rotation.
I'm guessing I'm going to have a rad. fan that turns the wrong way; which I suppose is marginally better then no fan at all, but still not enough to keep the overheating at bay.
It took me all of 40 minutes to take it all apart an reassemble, Oreilly said they would exchange the motor, I'm unemployed with lots of time right now, so I have no problem whatsoever tearing it apart and redoing it.
But, being as it's a DC motor - would reversing the leads accomplish the same task (EXTREME HACK THOUGH IT MAY BE)? If nothing else, I'd do it so I could make it to the parts store to buy the proper motor.
Thanks again.
Matt

LOL, no money is necessary. I, like the other regulars, do this for personal satisfaction/enjoyment.

What he meant was "is it the right fan, or the left fan." There are...err...should be two fans on this particular vehicle.

No.
It will spin the right way, just depends on whether or not it will fit where you want to put it.

Take a picture of the front of the engine bay, I'd like to see what's going on. It should be as simple as buying the part and bolting it in, you shouldn't have to mess around with anything. But yes, you can reverse the direction of a DC motor by reversing the leads, but don't.
Steve
Steve -
I cant send pics, as I have no camera (Used to till I got fired).
However, after bolting it all together, checking all the wiring, and powering up -
The fan blew back toward the engine compt.
Before you responded, I wentg ahead and reversed the leads, and the fan is now blowing outward toward the radiator.
One other thing was that there was a label on the motor, with the word 'left' on it, and a directional arrow.
Also, it's been running for approx 30 mins no, all temps normal.
Here is the make and model of the motor:
MURRAY 35656 RAD. FAN MOTOR
I still plan on taking it back; but its one of those things I had to try.
Also, last week my bud left the car idling in the driveway for less then 5 mins; it made that one thing that shoots water out of the ground in yellowstone park look like a trickle.
So the good news is I think all the other components that kick the fan on are OK; but it's still too early to tell.
Thanks much, please let me know if further data is required.
Matt

That's the say it's supposed to blow.

Incorrect direction.

ok now - this is critical for me steve, and it's an easy change for me to make -
You are saying the fan should 'suck' toward the engine, vs. 'blow' to the radiator?
I only ask because my great expert friends at the parts store said it should blow outwards.
Thanks Matt
Matt wrote:

Steve M is correct, the fan should move air towards the engine. The air is drawn in from the front grille area, through the radiator, then towards the engine. Just think how air flows through the radiator when the car is moving. It's the same direction as that. The fan mostly operates when the car *isn't* moving, because normal driving usually creates enough airflow that the temp switch(es) don't close. It does come on, however, during A/C operation as an additional safeguard.
Toyota MDT in MO
EXCELLENT.
Now I dont have to return the fan.
You guys kick total ass.
Thanks so much.
ANd Im serious about the $$$.
If nothing else, if you are anywhere close to KC, I'm more than happy to buy you a beer or 20.
If you arent near KC, email me, I'll give ya my phone #, you call me from a bar and I'll charge a few rounds for you.
You guys just have no way to know how much you have helped me.
THANK YOU.
Matt wrote:

We get excited when someone spells their question correctly or actually says "thank you". Enough about the money already!! I'm doing well enough that I can afford to get drunk on my own. It would be embarrasing to have you fund my debauchery :)
Good luck, Toyota MDT in MO (~near~ KC)
heheheh thanks man, to Steve, and to all of you.
I just reversed the leads back, so I'll update shortly.
THANKS Matt
Steve, I was breaking you b's, just some fun with some of this " knuckleheadedness"

-
Gentlemen -
The engine runs even cooler now.
Sleep well, for you have helped a complete stranger in ways you will never know.
Matt

What part of the country are you from Shep, so I can make fun of your accent.