Re: Consumer Reports reliability survey for Cars

Not to start another rant, but J.D. Powers will rank highly whoever pays them. That's why you see the auto company ads stating "Best vehicle of the year according to JDP" and 4 different companies have 4 different models each that won. Kinda hard to believe that every vehicle out there is the "Best of the year." But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong. . .
SC Tom

JD Powers collects data to sell to auto companies. They publish part of the data in an effort to create a brand, but they sell a lot more information than they give away.
I believe the JD Powers data (as far as it goes) is more reliable than the CR data. I have filled out surveys for both. The CR data collection scheme is rudimentary, non-random, and the data reporting scheme is designed to emphasize very small differences. People who defend CRs data like to emphasize the fact that CR doesn't take money from advertisers. While true, it is irrelevant. CR has to please the subscribers and keep them interested in buying the magazine. Suppose they started saying that all cars were pretty much the same - would that make for a "must have magazine?" CR slants their reports to suit their own needs (the need to attract and keep subscribers and to promote their particular somewhat nanny state agenda). I enjoy reading CR, but I am never going to confuse their reporting with absolute truth.
Ed