Re: Winstar 2001: Any well know problems to expect.

I bought a used Ford winstar sport 2001 with 45,000km (about 28,000 miles).

>Just wanted to know what are some of the main problems mechanics >have found to be common with this vehicle. Hopefully monitoring these >items >will help me to be proactive, before problems get too big. I am not >saying >this is a bad vehicle, however no mini-van is perfect. thanks. >
Reply to
Mike Levy

I see these posts all the time, and I wonder why people don't post this question BEFORE buying the car.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam Tosi(punctuation!)

If it's a 3.8L get ready for the inevitable head gasket problems common on these motors.

This is a GM group BTW :)

Reply to
gjoiw907102

How is this a GM group? I see it listed as alt.autos nothing more.

Reply to
Dale DeRemer

It was crossposted to both groups.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower
  1. The Ford 3.8L headgasket problem has been largely fixed with a redesign of the Gasket on any vehicle after 1997. They do have an occasional failure. VERY important to NEVER let the car overheat. Maintain the cooling system above and beyond 100%. Flush it out every two years, check the belts every couple of months, check the water pump seep hole, check the coolant level every month, change the oil every three months even if you do not drive 3,000 to 5,000 miles in that time.
  2. The Ford transmission problems are also largely fixed and a thing of the past, BUT do not use it for towing. Unless you have an oversized aftermarket tranny cooler. You must flush the transmission fluid out every 30K miles and have the tranny filter replaced for best long life.

Reply to
David