Re: Winstar 2001: Any well know problems to expect.

Coming from the GM group you posted this to. It's Ford, I don't need to say anymore. Seriously though, post in the right group and you'll get the answers you're looking for. Not too many people in the GM
group will have a Ford Windstar...

miles).
I see these posts all the time, and I wonder why people don't post this question BEFORE buying the car.
-Sam

If it's a 3.8L get ready for the inevitable head gasket problems common on these motors.
This is a GM group BTW :)

miles).
How is this a GM group? I see it listed as alt.autos nothing more.

these
on
It was crossposted to both groups.
Dave
1. The Ford 3.8L headgasket problem has been largely fixed with a redesign of the Gasket on any vehicle after 1997. They do have an occasional failure. VERY important to NEVER let the car overheat. Maintain the cooling system above and beyond 100%. Flush it out every two years, check the belts every couple of months, check the water pump seep hole, check the coolant level every month, change the oil every three months even if you do not drive 3,000 to 5,000 miles in that time. 2. The Ford transmission problems are also largely fixed and a thing of the past, BUT do not use it for towing. Unless you have an oversized aftermarket tranny cooler. You must flush the transmission fluid out every 30K miles and have the tranny filter replaced for best long life.

miles).