Replacing Door bushings on a 92 buick regal.

Hello my driver door is currently very hard to open. I have to lift up on the handle very hard to open it. Are the hinges very difficult to repace on these cars. When door is open there is alot of play in door. Do the hole hinges need replacing or is there replaceable bushings for it. Also do you think replacing them is a DIY job or a garage job

Reply to
Waylon

I have attempted replacing the pins and bushings in some GM products, and finally subbed the job out to a body shop. I just didnt have the wherewithall to do the job easily.

For many GM products, the bushings wear out quickly, especially if they are not lubricated properly.

The biggest problem I found was removing and replacing the springs inside the hinges.

I got a body shop to do it for $35 per side. Cheap.

Reply to
<HLS

The plastic sleeve insert in the bushing on my car disintegrated and I relaced the whole upper hinge on the driverside on my 91 Bonneville a few years back. Got a hinge off one from a junk yard car that had very little wear. I got it installed & lined up pretty close myself, then took it to a body shop for a final adjustment.

The door latch wasn't hitting the striker on the center post properly. The striker on my car is non adjustable.

The body shop had these eight foot long pry bars and slide hammer and one hell of a sledge hammer to knock the hinge back into alignment.

The guys at the body shop couldn't believe how close I got by using jus two hands, then I told them - I didn't loosen the lower hinge when I installed it, I sprung the door slightly out from the upper hinge, then slid the replacement upper hinge in where I put a line up mark then bolted it down.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Having done plenty of these door hinges I would consider $35 to be a pretty doggoned good price. Squirreling around with those hinges is one nasty pain in the butt.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Look through this group for a similar thread on GM door hinges over the past few days. You'll find a thread that explains the process. In short - you need to replace the hinge bushings.

Reply to
Mike Marlow