service engine soon light????

When the service engine soon light comes on, what exactly needs to be done as far as a tune up to get the light to go off? I recently replaced plugs, air
filter, and changed oil on my metro. I figured the light would go off and it didnt. the car is running great and still getting over 40 mpg, so what else is needed?
Thanks
Sounds like something like a sensor may be causing that light to stay on . Usually if something triggers it(like a misfire code), the light will come on but after 3 consecutive starts of an OK code the light will eventually go out. I have a '96 olds and occasionally the light will come on (the dealer can't pinpoint the misfire code) and it will go out after a 2 or 3 days.