Timing Chain Cover Removal 92 Caprice

With 340,000 miles on my 305 92 Caprice I think it's time to replace the timing chain :)
The FSM says the oil pan has to be removed, along with a LOT of other
items.
I have the harmonic balancer removal tool and am going to replace the water pump at the same time.
Does anyone know for sure if the oil pan MUST be removed in order to get the timing chain cover off?
Any tips to make the job easier?
TIA
Olaf
The oil pan goes on under the timing cover seal and pushes up. Most of the time you can just loosen the oil pan bolts to remove the timing cover. When reinstalling, grind the corners of the timing cover seat retainer tab so you can get it wedged in there. With that many miles, why don't you just remove the pan and put an oil pump in it.