Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

Page 3 of 8
A friend of mine goes to car shows. He was raving about someone's Mitsubishi which won a recent show. What's that sleek Italian looking model they make?
Just because YOU have never seen a Jap car at a show doesn't mean they're absent from shows elsewhere. Now, go back to your bottle, Uncle Jemima.

Back to name-calling? How kindergarten of you.
Jeff

There may be shows like that, but the shows our local club sponsors every Saturday night gets a huge turnout of cars that have been customized, engine swapped, and other radical treatments of sheetmetal, drivetrain, and paint. A good Saturday night may have 300 cars, and of them, 250 are well worth the look for any car buff. That chopped and sectioned '49 Merc is sweet, Of course, probably many of the readers here have no idea what chopped, channeled and sectioned even means, let alone have the skill to try it.

That's great, but it doesn't support the premise that car shows are an indicator of automotive quality.

There are more '65 Chevy and Fords there than '65 Datsuns, even as a percentage of sales in that years. Older Toyota bodes never lasted that long in spite of the drivetrain running about forever.
wrote in message

What percentage of show cars have 100% original bodywork? In other words, what percentage have had no body work done at all?
wrote in message

That's impossible to know. If you watch Barratt Jackson, the percentage of them commanding premium prices is very high. If you don't know what Barratt Jackson is, then you should put the mouse down and move away from the computer.
You should consider stepping back from the crack pipe too.
wrote in message

In that case, Ed P's comment about "bodes" is meaningless, unless he has data about original body work. There might be rules about that in certain car shows. I don't know. I'll wait for his response rather than guess.

Why should I move away from computer if I don't know what Barratt Jackon is?

You're even angrier than usual today.

You'd have to clarify the category. There are shows specific to certain makes, certain year ranges, and original versus custom. In a custom category original body makes no difference. I don't know the rules of restorations. I do know that if a car is 100% original, it is valued far more than a better looking car that has a lot of replacements.
My brother won quite a few shows with a Model A that was 100% original (except for tires) and had the bill of sale and bills from service in the 1920's. He sold it because once you show it, not much else to do with it aside from prevent deterioration. His Mustangs had replacement parts as needed, but his Pony convertible was all original. It was so pristine, Ford bought it back from him.
Getting back on point, one reason you don't find older Japanese cars in shows is because no one really wanted to bother keeping them. They had bland style, bland performance, needed a lot of body upkeep, little appeal to a collector.

I know one guy who has a collector car. 196x Vette. He loves to go to the shows and meet his friends there. I can imagine one doing the same thing with any collector car.
Jeff
wrote in message

In the Custom category, the original body work is almost always EXPECTED to not be original.
I don't know the rules of

Exzactly.
I'm not sure your point on the Japanese cars is accurate.
There are plenty of Japanese cars that are worthy of restoration, but the problem they share is that they don't have the history of the early American cars. There are many Mercedes Benz cars that are worth restoring. Japan brought us the Datsun 240Z, and the 2000, and the 210 and a few others. Toyota gave us a few that rank pretty well on the Restore Scale. I would agree that there are more American cars that get restored, but there is wide appeal among restorers for foreign metal.
wrote in message

A 240Z was bland? :-)

But only 6 of them were sold compared to the hundreds of thousands of Celica and Corollas
wrote in message

May the Good Lord strike me where I sit. Joe is right.
Japan has given us many exciting models that are worthy of restoration, the 240Z among them. I think that in a few more years, the collectible cars will include more and more Japanese models, and the count will grow as the years pass.

Aside from the 240Z, how many Japanese cars were worth collecting in the 1955 to 1980 range?. Compare that list to the Super Sports, Grand Prix, Camero, Fury, Chrysler 300, Olds 4+2, Crown Victoria, Thunderbird, Mustang and more. A Chevy Nomad station wagon had more style than any Japanese sedan. http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/1957_Chevy_Nomad.html
Celica? Datsun 510? Accord?
wrote in message

Some people still think Beanie Babies are "collectible". Elvis dishes, too.
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:40:34 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

THis is it, 'Lizabeth! This is the big one!

Check prices on Supras on eBay. I paid $600 for mine 6 years ago, could have bought another one just like it, but with 155,000 miles on eBay for $585, 40 miles from home. Look at them now...
wrote in message

You are full of shit. If you could think of any besides the Z cars, you'd have named them. If you think Japan makes exciting cars, you must be a real ball of fire.
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:55:10 -0500, Dave wrote:

No. This is:
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Impreza_WRX_STI_2006_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg
These are cool:
http://blogs.cars.com/photos/mother_proof_april_08/miata.jpg
These are unique:
http://www.vivagoal.com/images/wallpapers/Mazda-RX8.jpg
These are Fast and Furious:
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/6554-1993-Toyota-Supra.jpg
And these handle extremely well:
http://members.optushome.com.au/slynaru/hachiroku/takumi.jpg

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Impreza_WRX_STI_2006_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg
But we were talking cars that lasted from the 60's and 70's. Not much from Japan was exciting then.