Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

That is SOP in assembly line manufacturing. They schedule extra assembly line workers for the guy that goes to eat, take a poop, gets sick, has an emergency at home, of just decides to home, is sent home for NOT doing his job or not doing it PROPERLY. After all it is an assembly LINE, that costs the company thousands of dollar when if stops running!

Reply to
Mike

Same old, same old, but if one goes to any old car show around the country they will see hundreds of those old crappy America cars, along with hundreds of the crappy cars for Europe, Great Britten and even Italy, but hardly even see ANY of those so called superior Jap cars from the same area. LOL

Reply to
Mike

Did you literally laugh out loud after you typed that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The fact is every manufacturer is building great cars today. The only real difference is style and price. It seems to me one should be more concerned about how well the dealership takes care of them and what they charge for parts and service because they all, at some point need parts and service.

Look at ANY survey of buyers and they will reveal they all make around 2% that are not up the manufacturers build quality, that is why they ALL offer a warranty even Rolls Royce.

Why anyone pays more money hoping they do not get one of the 2% makes no since.

Just to see if it's better? There are other ways to find out if a car company is making better models, like consumer reports and cars owned by friends. People do share information about cars, read reviews in the paper (although one must be careful because many of the reviews are poorly-disguised ads), and read car magazines. Car companies do get reputations for quality of cars.

BTW, when I buy a Ford Fusion, I don't buy an newer version of an old Mustang, but a totally different car. Ford makes some great cars and some cars that are not so good. Ditto GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Kia and all the rest (at least those sold now in the US - some like Yugo were never good).

Jeff

Reply to
Mike

DUH, for the same reason, they no longer wanted the one they traded.

Why are so many domestic cars and trucks traded in on import brands?

Jeff

Reply to
Mike

Does that mean you did not know Toyota was a partner in the NUMMI contract? LOL

Toyota didn't sign contracts with the UAW. NUMMI did.

And to agree to a contract.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike

Did you literally laugh out loud when you typed that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What part of "must contain 70% American made parts and MATERIALS," did you not understand?

The cars made in California for example used steel made in the US at the Burns Harbor plant owned by Bethlehem Steel, now MITTAL. All other Toyota plants use Nippon Steel, dummy.

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.

An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike

I do, at most of what you post

Reply to
Mike

Do you actually believe car shows are any indication of automotive quality??? They're staffed and attended by people whose HOBBY it is to dote over their cars. Prizes are given to people who've demonstrated nothing more than the ability to apply wax and maybe spend money on accessories.

Silly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Who is Ken Pool? LOL

Have you ever tried to find the source of the funding for the "jobs bank," set up by Detroit automakers and Delphi Corp. as part of an extraordinary job security agreement with the United Auto Workers union?

Every UAW members and the companies both have each been paying sixty five cents and hour into the "Jobs Bank Fund," since the auto companies and the Union agreed to the contact clause! Jobs bank workers are paid from that interest bearing fund.

In addition the companies saved millions of dollars by not having to pay unemployment benefits and higher state unemployment taxes, dummy!

"Joe$#itForBrains"

Reply to
Mike

.......>

I saw many coils of steel wrapped in paper with Jap markings. as someone who worked with tooling for 35 years i was not impressed with the jap tooling. I also worked on some of the tooling in a plant that did the aftermarket service work for NUMMI. I think the US tooling was better made and ran smoother, but we also made our tooling for higher volume.

Reply to
Tom

Are you referring to "General Motors" or "GM?"

"General Motors," IS down the drain. All that is left of "General Motors" is Saturn, Hummer, Pontiac and the closed "General Motors," plants that are yet to be sold by the bankruptcy court

Reply to
Mike

What part of "must contain 70% American made parts and MATERIALS," did YOU not understand?

Mike

Duh! Then WHY are there no Jap cars to preserve? At least you signed you post right, silly. ROTFLOL

"Joe$#itFor Brains"

Reply to
Mike

A friend of mine goes to car shows. He was raving about someone's Mitsubishi which won a recent show. What's that sleek Italian looking model they make?

Just because YOU have never seen a Jap car at a show doesn't mean they're absent from shows elsewhere. Now, go back to your bottle, Uncle Jemima.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There may be shows like that, but the shows our local club sponsors every Saturday night gets a huge turnout of cars that have been customized, engine swapped, and other radical treatments of sheetmetal, drivetrain, and paint. A good Saturday night may have 300 cars, and of them, 250 are well worth the look for any car buff. That chopped and sectioned '49 Merc is sweet, Of course, probably many of the readers here have no idea what chopped, channeled and sectioned even means, let alone have the skill to try it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Aside from warranty work, the dealer is the last place I'd take a car for service. That may be because I'm concerned what I'm charged.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's great, but it doesn't support the premise that car shows are an indicator of automotive quality.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There are more '65 Chevy and Fords there than '65 Datsuns, even as a percentage of sales in that years. Older Toyota bodes never lasted that long in spite of the drivetrain running about forever.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski