Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

or a sap thats OK i know what i am but i think you have a better chance of getting boned in the ass than i do. The worst products i have purchased , refrigerator made in Korea, camara, Japan TVs Korea ,years ago anything made in japan. People who compare 20 and 30 years old products to todays are only fooling themselves.

Reply to
Tom

Tell me all about your American made camera. Brand, model, etc.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That is a fair challenge..... I bought two Amana appliances a few years ago, a freezer and matching refrigerator, at something over $3000. They were crap. The compressors went out on both of them, under warranty. They they went out after warranty.

When we moved into this house, there was a big find Amana refrigerator. Less than a year later, the compressor went out.

Now, do you think I would buy another Amana? Not on your life. Even if I got the only three lemons they ever made, enough is enough.

Reply to
hls

Well, there ya go. Your decision is just common sense. And yet, when it comes to JUST ONE PRODUCT CATEGORY, **automobiles**, many people will remain loyal to the same manufacturers even after those manufacturers have proven themselves incompetent or worse.

I wonder what it is about automobiles that makes people behave this way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

While it is true that Toyota assembles vehicles in the US of mostly imported parts and materials. That is only true of Toyotas NON Union plants, that is not the case for vehicles made at in the California plant!

The Union contract there requires that ALL vehicles assembled there, both GM and Toyota, must contain 70% American made parts and materials.

Reply to
Mike

You mean the Union Contracts that included "abusive waste" that Toyota signed with the UAW?

The only "power" a Union has over a manufacturer is to require it to abide by their contract.

Reply to
Mike

If what you believe is true why does one see so many Toyotas and other Jap cars and trucks being traded on domestic brands?

Reply to
Mike

I have an Amana, it's lasted 11 years so far. I expect it to last another 20.

Reply to
kpb

You buy whatever it is you want. All I am saying is you are foolish to compare vehicles built in 1982 with vehicles built today. If I were to compare my GM's from the 90's and 2000's to Toyota's from the 70's and 80's, that would give me further evidence that I would never want to own a Toyo. However, like I said, that makes little sense.

Reply to
80 Knight

People like you have allowed most of our manufacturing to move over seas. I hope you feel good when your grand children can't even work at McDonald's because no one will be able to afford it.

Reply to
80 Knight

Seeing how you are spewing from the Toyota group, I will assume you own one. Tell me, if your Toyota were to turn to shit, would you give up on the entire brand for the next 30 years?

Reply to
80 Knight

Like I said, the only way to find out if newer American cars are better than before is to buy one, and that experiment would cost me 20-30K. I don't trust anyone else's evaluations, since everyone has different expectations. For instance, my brother in law still thinks it was normal for the transmissions to go bad at 65K miles in two of his GM cars. I find that a bit odd. Who can say if maintenance was a contributing factor, or if the trannys were just plain trash?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Right and their contract can be expensive and full of inefficiency.

So that's quite a power they have.

5,000 more union goons out of work.

They remind me of those goon like characters in LOTR.

Reply to
kpb

Well, well, well, rightwingnuts, I was right on the money as far as the reasons the plant is closing.

Reply to
edspyhill01

I first wanted a top quality single lens reflex 35mm camera in 1967. Tell me which, if any American-made ones were available at that time. Also, tell me how a 14 year old kid "allowed most of our manufacturing to move over seas".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Can't prove it to me, I have a 1970 Pinto that has nearly 300,000 miles on the odometer and it has the original tranny and shift leaver.

"Joe$#irForBrains"

Reply to
Mike

If you were someone else, I might believe you. But you're not.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Absolutely, if I felt certain that the problem was due to something inherent in Toyota's corporate culture, as opposed to an isolated problem with one vehicle (mine) or one model.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

d8$1@kcnews01...

Yep, I had a Chevy Beretta that had to be towed 3 - 4 times a year for every year I owned. Now my Chrysler products back then were as reliable as my Japanese cars. Problem with Chrysler is every model was cheapened until it was trash, so there was no such thing as buying a second Horizen or whatever model I had, while a second and third Honda, no brainer.

Reply to
edspyhill01

I have an Amana, it's lasted 11 years so far. I expect it to last another 20.

I would hope that it does. Eleven years is not so bad. I have been led to believe that compressors are now made by just a few suppliers, and they are not always very reliable over the long haul.

Air conditioning man told me a similar story not long ago. Gone are the days, if they ever existed, that you could buy a Friedrich and expect a long and trouble free life.

FIL had to replace his old Carrier a few months ago. The new unit ran him $5000. (Nothing special, no new parts, no duct work). Sister in Dallas had one replaced a month or two later and it was $7500.. Now, is this poor shopping, or is it due to the fact that Texas laws protect the access to these units to state licensed AC people? (The last time I priced a boxed central unit it was $1800. The installation doesnt require a rocket scientist.)

Sorry to go so far OT.

Reply to
hls