Transmission question

This question is about a Dodge, even though this is a GM forum but I believe people in here will know the answer. The only dodge forums I can find on Usenet don't seem to have much activity, or none at all in alt.autos.dodge. Anyway, a friend has a '94 Caraven 3.3, and the fuel pump went out in the middle of nowhere. Is it safe to tow it with a chain without damaging the transmission? I am talking about a distance of 25 miles or better. Normally I wouldn't do something like that myself, plus I think it would harm the transmission. I am sure to have it towed that distance would be fairly expensive. As I said, it's in a remote area and there would not be much traffic to deal with, if any.

Reply to
James Goforth

If you go slow, maybe. The risk is that without the front (input) pump turning the bearings and gears in the differential and related areas like the transfer gears will run dry and be damaged. I would check to be sure the fuel pump is really FUBAR and it isn't a wiring issue or a bad ASD or fuel pump relay in the PDC under the hood.

Owner '95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3 237,000 miles. Currently parked with fried driver's front brake components due to a bad hose that made the pads drag and overheat everything.

Also try the rec.autos.makers.chrysler group.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

No engine = No brakes. You can always disconnect the driveshaft at the differential, assuming its rear wheel drive. Try posting here: Its an active group and perfect for your question.

rec.autos.tech

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Not a good idea. Probably run you 90-150 to have a flatbed bring it in. VS. 1200.00 for a rebuilt transaxle. That transaxle REALLY doesn't like to be moved without lube. Also without the engine power you will have very poor brakes and the steering is going to be like turning a tank.

Now if it's in a spot where it could sit for a day you could just take a replacement pump out and drop the tank and change out the pump.

Reply to
Steve W.

No, do not tow. Use either a dolly if FWD, or a trailer if AWD. It is also unlawful to tow with a rope/chain/strap on the highway in many locations...

Reply to
PeterD