What's This? Ice In Brake Fluid Bottle!

Picked up a bottle of brake fluid off a shelf in the gargage yesterday and heard a funny noise. There were three little balls of ice floating around in there.
Never seen that before.
This was left over fluid from September 2004 when I changed front brake hoses on the Bonneville.
harryface 05 Park Avenue 53,285 91 Bonneville 308,163
brake fluid doesn't last once the bottle is open. Even sealed, its not a good idea to let it sit for more than a year. It collect moisture like crazy, so its not surprising you have moisture in the bottle, and I assume its frozen since it is below freezing.
Harry Face wrote:

Brake fluid ahs an affinity for moisture, that is why it is not a good ides to store brake fluid after it ahs been opened.
mike

A great demonstration of why brake fluid left over should be disposed of! The stuff is spectacularly hygroscopic.
Mike

Ive never seen that either...Normal brake fluid (meaning, not silicone oil based) is very much like antifreeze base. It absorbs moisture, but normally does not allow it to freeze in the way you have observed.
I dont know what you have going on there.

I've never seen it freeze in a bottle, like that, but I've seen it freeze in brake systems, often enough. Won't happen with proper maintenance, though.
Dave
Harry Face wrote:

If you move here Harry, you won't have that problem.