Wheel Locking Lug Nuts. No socket

Just picked up a used car from a dealer- Tires are brand new but

have a locking type of lug nut with grooves drilled into the lug nut

so only a special socket will fit... Lug nuts are deep set in

aluminum alloy wheels.. The dealer has already

mentioned that he picked the car up at an auction.... so I

don't know if he has the key....(dealer is closed until Monday

morning).

So what's the best way to fix this issue... Do Auto Locksmiths

have master lug sockets?? Drilling out 4 lug nuts is out of the

question... What's the work around??

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Reply to
Peter

Look in the spare tire compartment.

Reply to
Rob G

I have removed the type of wheel lock you have mentioned. There is a special socket to remove these with out the keyed socket. Most of the major tool dealers carry them (Snap-on, Mac, Matco,....). They require the use of an impact wrench to work. Check around I am sure you can find a source for the tool or a shop with one. MU

Reply to
Mark Uhlenkamp

Reply to
Peter

pound a socket over the lock lug to unscrew it. This is what theives do all the time.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~259,100 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Good idea !!! Dunno if I can use the same socket for all 4 lugnuts, but in a panic situation it's worth a try.

Thanks for your advice.... Good tip !!!!

Reply to
jist wondering

The fact that you know that scares me Harry.

Reply to
clevere

Pete,

It really doesn't matter if the dealer has the key or not. They should remove the locks for free. Put your foot down, man!

If you purchased a vehicle with wheel locks, they should provide you with a key, or remove the locks.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Good news regarding the wheel nuts. I found a sticker in the tire jack compartment, (behind all the stuff) with the manufacturers name and the ID # of the wheel lock nuts.. AND an address where I can obtain a replacement key. ($6.00).

With any type of luck at all, I can get a replacement key.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. This time I really lucked out. I'm sure there will be a next time...and all the suggestions wll come in handy.

Thanks aga

Reply to
Peter

Order 2 keys and keep one in a safe place at home...

Reply to
Mike Levy