Wheel/Tire Size

Reading an ad for the new Jeep, and one of the selling features listed, ( besides more cupholders ) was 18" wheels.

I notice a trend toward bigger wheels in many cars. Any advantage to these things, besides costing more at replacement time.

Reply to
Anonymous

ground clearance, longer tire life

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Longer tire life? What? Doesn't matter what size tire you buy. The tread wear rating will be on the tire. Tire life is based on rubber hardness and how deep the grooves in the tread are.

The only advantage is better looks and slightly better handling.

Reply to
Victor

The same rubber on a larger diameter tire is going to last longer than the same rubber on a smaller diameter tire. Simple mathematics. Yes, profile comes into play in addition to rim size, but the more circumference, the more distance per revolution.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Larger brakes can be fitted as well.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Most of the tires aren't greater circumference though, just lower profile. I think it's done mostly for looks, a truck for instance wouldn't benefit handling-wise from low profile rubber, and raises potential for curb damage. Give me back my 16in that were less money to replace.

Reply to
Kevin

_______________ Bigger rims have advantages - WITHIN REASON!!:

-More feedback from the road.

-Today's suspensions do most of the job that suspensions of 30 - 50 years ago shared with shock-numbing high-profile tires that rode on

13" or 14" rims.

-Wider profiles track straighter - though this is negligible compared to designing in enough SAI and appropriate amount of caster into the vehicle.

Now for the "WITHIN REASON" part:

20" - 30" wheels belong on horse driven vehicles - if you catch my drift. Do the math:

P400/30VR25 = Pure Bling....'nuff said.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster