1991 Accord - Intermittent Fuel Pump (But why?)

My 1991 Accord with 150K miles seems to have an intermittent fuel pump. I can lay under the car and listen for the fuel pump to energize. It may work
2 or 3 times consecutively when turning the key, other times it may take 20 or more tries before you hear it energize, after the time when you could hear it energize. Is this a common mode of failure for the pump? When the pump is running, the vehicle runs fine. Could there be an electrical problem (intermittent of course), that is causing the pump to not see voltage when the key is turned on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to drop the tank if I do not have to. You always encounter other problems when you drop the tank. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Thank you. Joe
Joe Guarino wrote:

main relay. tegger.com for details.