1991 honda civic

I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I have always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I pulled one of my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if it was dirty. Everything looked good. Two days later my car started missing. I figured I broke a spark plug wire so I bought four new spark plugs and wires and replace the old. While replacing the spark plugs I notice oil was on my spark plugs and some oil on the wires. I am not buring oil. My car is missing when I first give it gas and then it smooths out. That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help me out

Reply to
coopdog696

what mileage?

oil on the plug lead is because a seal is leaking. cheap to replace and not the cause of the misfire.

first, check for ecu codes. if nothing, check the distributor cap & rotor arm. other than that, the "misfire like" symptoms list is long & includes things like egr valve, thermostat, injectors fouling, pcv valve, etc. try the first two listed then report back.

Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam1" wrote: > coopdog696 wrote: > > I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I > have > > always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I > pulled one of > > my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if it was > dirty. > > Everything looked good. Two days later my car started > missing. I > > figured I broke a spark plug wire so I bought four new spark > plugs and > > wires and replace the old. While replacing the spark plugs > I notice > > oil was on my spark plugs and some oil on the wires. I am > not buring > > oil. My car is missing when I first give it gas and then it > smooths > > out. That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help > me out > > what mileage? > > oil on the plug lead is because a seal is leaking. cheap to > replace and > not the cause of the misfire. > > first, check for ecu codes. if nothing, check the distributor > cap & > rotor arm. other than that, the "misfire like" symptoms list > is long & > includes things like egr valve, thermostat, injectors fouling, > pcv > valve, etc. try the first two listed then report back.

The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there a while my engine would get really hot. It was already getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the gap of the spark plug

Reply to
coopdog696

"coopdog696" wrote: > The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda > automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my > spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put > in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I > bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be > causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and > compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there > a while my engine would get really hot. It was already > getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the > gap of the spark plug

What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also

Reply to
coopdog696

i wouldnt recommend bosch plugs. they're not OEM Honda plugs. you should look for NGK or Denso plugs for your Civic. There is a difference. and make sure your plug wires are a minimum of 8mm thick not the cheapo 7mm ones. that definetly is important.

Reply to
hondaman

seals are a cheap easy fix. most auto repair places stock them because they are a common failure.

regarding plugs, my experience with bosch is not good. one day they work, the next, the car's deader than dead. as others say, stick with denso or ngk. even the cheap plugs are better than bosch. it's not like the civic has an access problem requiring the use of long life plugs. i have iridiums in mine, but that's because i'm a geek.

Reply to
jim beam

I have had Champions short under load - I don't recommend them either.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

yes, for these compact, high temp plugs, champions don't do too well, but on the older style exposed plugs, champion were great in my experience. never had a set flunk on me, unlike bosch which let me down consistently.

Reply to
jim beam

I haven't tried any of the newer ones. I had one fail in my Lotus (Renault engine) and in a Ford Maverick, both in the mid-70s. I haven't bought any since. Each time they worked okay below maybe half throttle.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"coopdog696" wrote: > I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I > have always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I > pulled one of my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if > it was dirty. Everything looked good. Two days later my car > started missing. I figured I broke a spark plug wire so I > bought four new spark plugs and wires and replace the old. > While replacing the spark plugs I notice oil was on my spark > plugs and some oil on the wires. I am not buring oil. My car > is missing when I first give it gas and then it smooths out. > That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help me > ou[/list]

This is coopdog696 and I found the problems with my 1991 honda civic dx. Well I actually took it to a repair shop. The guy who runs the place ownes the same car and it is a street runner. Any for all you to know while my car was puttering and not running properly was the inginition coil was messed up. It is a very common error with these cars. It only cost me $150 dollars. Thanks everyone

Reply to
coopdog696