1999 CRV SRS light

My father has a 1999 CRV that has a light on the dash indicating an SRS fault. The dealer wants to replace some expensive part, but I do not have great confidence in their troubleshooting.
Is there a way to see the diagnostic codes generated by the computer without getting a device like an OBD II?
Anyone see this one before? Any hope a reset will successfully get rid of it, or is there a bad part demanding a ransom?
Thank All...
the snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
"The Dismantler!" wrote:

It's here, in several different places. The SRS light blinks while the CHECK ENGINE light blinks. It's distracting but it will get you the code. ABS blinks too. Read everything. http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?tD9 http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t 6
Make sure your Pop knows to adjust his valves every 30,000 miles (50,000 Km) also. Sign in and search for 'burnt and valves'.
'Curly'
"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:

Here's some more good reading for him: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/index.html P.S. The Dual Pump Fluid in his rear differential needs a change every 30,000 miles as well: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/x00-901e.pdf
The manuals are just plain wrong . . .
'Curly'
Thanks, Curly, much appreciated.