2000 Accord SE paint cracking on hood

Our 2000 Accord Special Edition has paint cracks on the hood. The cracks look like little "crows feet". The paint color is dark green. The car only
has 50000 miles on it. When I took the car to be checked out by the Honda dealer they were baffled. The cracking doesn't appear on any other part of the car. The service manager performed a test using what looked like a tire pressure gauge with a magnet on the end of it. When he did the test on all the other parts of the car surface the gauge read between 4 and 6. When he performed the test on the hood, the gauge read between 12 and 14. He said that it appeared that the car had been painted improperly. He thought that the hood may have not had the proper amount of clear coat. I told him that I had not had any repairs whatsoever to the hood. I have only ever taken this car to this dealer since we bought car from them in 2000. The dealer performed a check to see if the car had any history of repairs or damage prior to arriving at the dealership. They found nothing. The dealership says that American Honda refuses to pay for any repairs (dealer estimate of $371.00). Has anyone else had a problem with paint cracking in a localized auto body part (hood, fender, roof, trunk, etc.)?
Steve in Fort Worth.
Sounds like it has been repainted by someone at some point, maybe on the side in somebody's garage.
Steve in Ft. Worth wrote:

Steve in Ft. Worth wrote:

    The paint on the hood of my '92 Accord has very small cracks that do not continue to the fenders. With 227,000 miles on the car, I just figured the paint got old and the heat from the engine caused the cracking. bob
My 99 Accord (dark green) has the same thing on the hood. Kind of looks like an old painting that's crackled. Every time I see an emerald green Accord I take a peek at the hood. 9 times out of 10 they've got the problem as well. It's Honda's paint job. IMHO they always had week paint. I plan on having the whole car repainted next spring. BTW I waxed the car recently and the crows feet looked worse.

Interesting! I wonder how many dark, green 2000 Accords are sitting on used car lots with the same problem? I might do some local surveying.
Steve in Ft. Worth

Too much paint ( applied to thick ) Used to be common on mid 80's GM products . However , with the GM vehicles it would show up after first year or two . Chances are , paint will begin to flake off the affected areas. ( just what you wanted to hear I'm sure ! ) -Dana

My 98 Honda Accord Coupe has that problem but it looks terrible. The color is Black Current (aka deep purple). I need to take pictures of it. I was told Honda will not do anything on it after 80,000 miles and I had 115k miles then. I now have 120k miles and it is spreading. It looks like the front of the hood and the front center on the roof have it the worst. I see it starting on the door as well but not very noticeable yet