2002 Honda Civic LX transmission troubles

We have a 2002 Civic LX that has 55K miles on it. When the car is cold the transmission doesn't seem to shift properly. As it shifts to first, second
and third, you will see the RPM's on the tach shoot up and then back down as it shifts. After about 10 minutes of driving, it shifts normal. I have replaced the trans fluid at 18K and 33K and used only genuine Honda trans fluid. Has anyone had issues like this and does anyone know of any quiet or hidden recalls from Honda in case the trans is bad. This car has the Continuously Variable Transmission which I hate. It always feels like it is trying to slow down the car. I have driven other Civic's with out the CVT and they seem to run a lot better.
jdc2wojo wrote:

this makes no sense. cvt has no "first, second and third" - it's a continuously variable transmission, it has an infinite number of ratios. are you sure you're not one of these paid detroit anti-import trolls?
jim beam wrote:

No Jim I'm not a Detroit anti-import troll. If I like the car and can afford it, I'll buy it. It doesn't matter to me if it is an import or an "American" car. I was just at the local new car show and really loved the new Challenger by Dodge.

lgfelt wrote:

I maybe wrong with the CVT name, but it is not a regular transmission. Since it was new, it always seemed to want to slow down the car when you take your foot off of the gas. Most cars that I have driven in, in the past were never like that. If you took your foot off of the gas you would just coast....not with this transmission.

jdc2wojo wrote:

I just checked and the Civic has a 4 speed automatic with grade control logic.