2007 Accord - Cruise Control

The manufacturer's recommended break-in period for a Honda Accord, six cylinder, with automatic is 600 miles. I was advised by someone at the dealership that cruise control should not be used until the vehicle
has been driven for 1500 miles. The owner's manual makes no mention of a separate break-in for the cruise control. Has anyone else ever heard this?
Thanks in advance for your input. When replying via email remove the asterisk from my address.

During break-in one should vary the speed of the vehicle. When using cruise control, you are maintaining a constant speed.
I conclude that cruise should not be used during break-in.
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:25:59 -0500, Seth wrote:

What the hell does that have to do with anything? There is no valid reason for varying the speed of the vehicle during break-in, short of normal accel and decel.

I conclude that this is a ridiculous statement. Follow your manual. Use the cruise. That's what it's there for.
Joe

Whoa, a lot of people are breaking in their engine in Texas!
Seth wrote:

I believe the idea is to run through the RPM range during the break in period, not to "not maintain" a specific RPM. As well, cruise control maintains speed, not RPM. RPM can vary quite a bit at the same speed, depending on the terrain.
I've had the pleasure to "break in" a few motorcycles and cars over the years (and some were driven quite hard), and have never had any issues.
no name wrote:

no - there's no technical rationale for it whatsoever - trust the owners manual. crap about needing to change the engine revs is mistaken. follow the normal factory break-in procedure and all will be well.
no name wrote:

People say all kinds of dumb things. Some of those people work in car dealerships. Don't worry about it.
John
John Horner wrote:

Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds. So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.
JT

think half a point to each perspective is due.
Mike
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

what does it say in the honda manual?
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Well, I just pulled out the owner's manual for my '06 Acura TSX. The only restrictions for the first 600 miles are to avoid full throttle acceleration, avoid agressive acceleration, avoid panic stop braking and to leave the factory motor oil in the motor until the first oil change interval.
The old procedures for running in rings, cams and the like do not seem to apply to modern Honda products. I'm pretty sure Honda knows what they are doing in this regard.
John

Sure. Can't have all their engines lasting 300K miles. It's much better for honda if their engines only last through the period of their extended warranties.
AZ Nomad wrote:

dude, with respect, time to move on. the improvements in precision, materials and lubricants since the 50's and the detroit hunk-o-junk's hay day render the old run-in procedure obsolete.
besides, have you ever worked on diesels? if so, you'll know that the engine is controlled by the injection governor, not the pedal under the drivers foot - it gives full throttle/injection with absolutely zero regard to news groups. with that new knowledge and fear of blatant abuse, can we suddenly expect the nation's diesel engine lifespans to dramatically reduce?
AZ Nomad wrote:

You must be joking, right? A good deal of Honda's business success today is built upon their reputation for robust long lasting vehicles.
John

Exactly so. Looking in today's auto classifieds I see a 2001 Ford Taurus advertised for $2950 and a 2001 Honda Civic DX for $9995. Fords have a reputation for the sort of design you mention, AZ. Hondas don't... and it shows.
Mike
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:30:13 -0700, Michael Pardee

Of course. Who needs real quality when you have a reputation to sit on? Have you repaired a sony lately? Absolute crap yet people still buy them based on a reputation thirty years out of date.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sony must be hit and miss because I still buy their products (as I have for 20 years) and the only problem I can recall was a bum headphone jack in a Walkman I bought in the late 80s. In the last 3 years, I have bought a Sony DVD player, a Sony digital camera, and a Sony stereo for my since traded-in Accord. No problems with any of these.

That reputation is as solid as a puff of smoke. It can, and will, go away in a moment unless it's being constantly fortified.

Yeah, I heard it forty years ago for GM iron engines, except they didnt even HAVE cruise control back then, but you were supposed to vary your speed a lot.
Does not seem to be an issue for current Honda alumino-silicate engine technology. No 500 mile break-in oil, either. Don't even have to crank the engine manually to start them anymore, either.
Still have to parallel-park them yourself, but how much longer can that go on?!
J.

About 10 years. That's when the current Lexus gee-whiz parallel parking technology will move its way down to the base Civic.