31mpg for the Element

Page 2 of 3

I bought a car part from Arizona once...

The problem with not keeping official records is that it's too easy to lose a receipt, or to include something you shouldn't, such as a partial fillup. You also can't include the fillup amount from the *start* of your recorded mileage.
A written (or Excel) record is more rigorous and more likely to be accurate, although your recorded 27-28mpg seems right for your car. I get about 28mpg in my Integra with lots of 80mph highway driving. Not bad for 267,000 miles, huh?
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
"TeGGeR®" wrote

Did it arrive melted?

I don't understand your last sentence. Maybe I don't know just what you mean by the "start of my recorded mileage." By "start" do you mean from the time I drive it off the dealer's lot? No, I didn't do that.
I fill the tank on my way to work. I note the trip odometer (typically 300 - 320 miles), I have the receipt, and when I get to work I divide the 300 or so miles by the number of gallons bought. How does that differ from your method?
I never based my mileage on one or two samples, even though I'd fill up at the same gas station. I know that some pumps, and on different days, will shut off at different levels of gasoline filled into the tank. So I figure over the course of a couple years I have it down pretty well. ;-)
Howard
Add pictures here
âś–
On 5/18/2006 7:35 AM TeGGeR® spake these words of knowledge:

Actually, as long as you include the *amount of gasoline* you put in, you will still be able to calculate the correct miles-per-gallon figure, at your next full fillup. For example, once my tank is full, I start driving. If I put in 5 gallons, then 11.23 gallons, then 3.99 gallons, then 8.04 gallons, then do a complete fillup of 14.55 gallons, and traveled, say, 1611 miles, I averaged 37.63 miles per gallon. Of course, I can't calculate the MPG for the interim time; only between complete fillups.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas

I do.

Add pictures here
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

    I have the EXACT gas fill info for EVERY tank full on my '92 Accord (LX two door,5 speed, White/Blue) since new. I taught myself to use Excel to put the info in a yearly table. bob
Add pictures here
âś–

I'm glad to hear there are people who actually do figure their mileage properly out there. As I said, nobody I *personally* know (friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc) does this.
Most of the people I know use the miles per tank method, which is bogus.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

I started doing this for business reasons a few years ago and learned some interesting things. Particularly about summer/winter driving. My Honda civic has been averaging about 37 mpg in the summer and 33 in the winter. I think the difference is half due to winter 15% ethonal (pure ethonal only 70% the mileage) and other other half due to recreational road trips. I also wonder if cooler weather on the engines or tire pressure is a factor. AC has almost now effect.
Add pictures here
âś–
"rick++" wrote in message...

Depends. If you do a lot of short trips, the engine does run momentarily in 'rich' mode until it is warmed up. The colder it is, the more fuel it will use every time you start it up.

You should be checking your tire pressure at least monthly. It's not uncommon to lose quite a bit of pressure going from ambient 80-90 degrees F to sub-freezing temps. That will definitely affect your mpg.

There was a study not too long ago that found that with modern automobiles/engines, the A/C used much less fuel than rolling down a window at speeds above 30mph or so.
Add pictures here
âś–

Yep. It's in closed-loop as soon as the ECM receives a valid signal from the primary oxygen sensor, which these days is about 30-40 seconds from a cold start. But it's still in "warmup enrichment" mode until it sees full coolant temp, which can be up to ten minutes from cold, depending.

1 psi per every 10 deg F.

Correct.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

I don't buy it. I don't notice any effect on the car's performance when I roll down the windows. Turning on the A/C is like throwing out an anchor.
I just bought a scan gauge monitor that plugs into the OBD-II receptacle and displays instantaneous milage and a lot of other data. I will test the window up/down AC on/off controversy and report results.
Add pictures here
âś–

Think about it. Travelling with the windows down, can only reduce mileage performance as the drag on the vehicle has been greatly increased. Talk about anchors!
Add pictures here
âś–
"Gordon McGrew" wrote

I've never noticed a decrease in mileage when the AC was in use, and that's half the year.
Add pictures here
âś–
My civic is getter better mileage than the published EPA ratings. Also better than the new Fit EPA ratings. It is better than my 1990 civic which was smaller and lighter. I read many people were complaining the EPA ratings to too good for most cars, especially the hybrids. Cant complain.
Add pictures here
âś–
On 5/17/2006 8:44 PM TeGGeR® spake these words of knowledge:

I have done it with every fillup since the day I bought my car (2003 Accord LX). I do it with every vehicle I drive, because usually the first clue that there is a problem is a drop in mileage.
In my book, I record the odometer reading, the per-gallon price, the total amount I paid for the fillup, and the date. When I enter that in a spreadsheet, I have (through formulas) the miles traveled, the gallons purchased, and the MPG for that fillup. Because it was trivial at that point, my spreadsheet also calculates my total gas cost, the total number of gallons I have purchased, average price-per-gallon, average miles-per-fillup, and average cost-per-fillup - over the life of the car.
I have spent $5165.12 in 226 fillups, buying 2945.13 gallons of gas at an average cost of $1.75.4, averaging 361.65 miles per 13.03 gallon fillup, at an average cost of $22.85, and an average MPG of 27.75.
If anyone is interested, I can post the Excel spreadsheet with the formulas still in it, for you to use.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"I have an idea that the phrase 'weaker sex' was coined by some woman to
disarm some man she was preparing to overwhelm." -- Ogden Nash

I've done it on the cars I've owned too. It's just become a habbit. Also never understood why some people want to keep putting $5 or $10 in the car instead of filling it up, when they had the money. You'll only have to visit the gas station that much quicker and more frequently.

Sure! I'd love to put it to use. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, -Dave
Add pictures here
âś–

Y'know, NE Ohio Bob had sent me his Excel spreadsheet, but I never did anything with it.
I'm now thinking it might be an excellent idea to post any available spreadsheets as part of a FAQ page. Looks like I've got two potential contributors so far, and I can post one of my own as well.
If the data are valid, they would serve as an excellent real-world mileage resource. I could post a raw Excel form, and readers would be free to download and populate it, then send it to me for posting. Comments?
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
On 5/18/2006 9:29 PM TeGGeR® spake these words of knowledge:

Sounds like a good idea to me.
I'll send this to you, Tegger, and I'll leave my data in it. Do with it as you will.
Dave, you can get it from me if you'll email me: dave - at - kelsen - dot - us, or provide me with a place to send it. I forgot that at the moment, I don't have a webspace to post it on.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people
who believe it." -- George Carlin

Email sent to ya. Or if Tegger puts it up on his website, those of us interested could grab it there too.
Thanks! -Dave
Add pictures here
âś–

It's up! http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/mileage.xls Download and distribute as you wish.
THIS is the correct way to calculate mileage, provided each fillup is to max.
I'll eventually make a new file with clear fields and post it on a new page entitled something like "how to record your mileage".
What would be excellent is for people to do their own population of the spreadsheet with their own accurate real-world data, then send the resulting XLS to me. I think it would make an awesome real-life resource for gas mileage data.
When I get a moment, I'll transfer my own data into a copy of that XLS and post that too. Got ten years of data to put up.
Thanks very much to Dave Kelsen. Great contribution.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

Actually, that's not even necessary, as Dave Kelsen pointed out on Thursday. You just have to make sure your calculated interval is bracketed by consistent fills.