800,000 mile 1984 Honda

Page 1 of 2
When I test drove an Accord on Saturday the salesman who has all the top awards as the best mentioned that he has a customer with the subject car.
Original engine and transmission. When I said that the guy would have to drive 40,000 miles a year to get that he said, Yes I guess that's right. I think he has stretched reality but I know that there's a Volvo that has a million miles and several diesel Merecedes. But a Honda? Anyone have any facts? tnx Hank
I don't know about that car, but I can attest to the fact of a friend who has a 1992 Accord EX Wagon with 480,000 miles on it. Yeah, I know 35000 miles + per year, but he is a salesman that covers a tri-state area. All miles on the original engine and transmission! Howard

Not so difficult to do if you:
Fix the car when breaks. Maintain the car well and most of the miles are highway.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:24:43 -0400, "Masterson"

too true, in 89 my fathre got rid of a fiat strada, that he'd clocked twice (was on about 240,000 miles) and was only 5 years old (he worked 70 miles away, 7 days a week) That was even with the terrible radiators those cars had.

Sorry--I was NOT aware of that fact. I screwed up.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

I believe the person is probably telling the truth but would not bet any money on it. Only the owner of the Honda knows for sure whether he is or is not telling the truth. All older cars are equipped with odometers that turn back to zero after 99,999.99 is on the odometer. Anyone that has a really old Honda could say that it had turned over any grand total of miles that he wished to lie about.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Thanks on the odometer Hank

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

> Hank
are you sure there's not a decimal point problem? all hondas that i've ever seen read xxx,xxx.x. in other words, you can record a million miles - more than any normal vehicle would ever last.

Hello, You are right. I was wrong--sorry. I just thought of one way that the owner of an older Honda could fake us out in terms of mileage. I once saw a television show that showed a retired auto salesmen showing how easy it is to change the odometer numbers on an older car. He hooked up some device that was connected to an electric drill. The device was connected to the odometer cable. He turned on the drill and the camera focused on the odometer. The mileage went from about 80,000 miles down to about 35,000 miles in less than two minutes. You could use the same device and a drill to move the mileage up to 900,000 miles. Was the person telling the truth? Only he knows for sure. He might own such a device.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

And a person would artificially increase the mileage for......what? Bragging rights? A person would have to be both dishonest & have some monetary gain to be realized to utilize such a device. Rich

Rich, Yes, bragging rights. On a regular basis, I see cars in parking lots that were mainly purchased for bragging rights. Some examples include the Lamborghini--one of the models costs $283,000. One of the Porche cars costs $448,000. I believe that lots of people love the attention they get when they have a special car. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

Yup. And probably worth every penny.
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Steve Bigelow"

One of the cars our son maintained for a very wealthy client is a 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO. It has less than 1,500 original miles. About six years ago, it was appraised at over $300,000. I have no idea what it's worth now.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
Jason wrote:
<snip>

It is spelled Porsche.
Randolph wrote:

Well, the main difference is one you sit in, the other you sit on ;-)
I dont think so......
A drill will only have a certain RPM. A drill would spin to slow to make it go that many miles in two minutes. I would most likely take days.
You cant spin an odometer too fast, the gears break.

I'll be honest with you. My memory does not work as well as it did when I was younger. It's been several years since I seen it on a television show. I don't remember the exact details. It's very possible that it took longer and they used a drill that was set on a speed that would do no damage. For example, they might have left the drill on for several hours or over night and merely showed the odometer on film when the drill was started and they started filming again the following morning. I just remember that I never trusted odometer readings on used cars after I seen that television show. Does anyone else know anything about a device that allows used car dealers to turn back the odometer readings on older cars? If so, please post.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

odometer reading had something to do with whether it could have been at the scene of the murder or some such thing. The "aha" in the show was that the car in question was an older one (like from the '30s) and the odometer would turn backward when the car was in reverse. The killer just put the rear axle on blocks, put the car in reverse and let it idle a while.
I have a big objection to the concept of using a drill to turn back the odometer anyway. All other objections aside, to turn back an odometer 50,000 miles even in ten hours would require simulating 5000 mph with the drill - a dubious concept.
Mike
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Michael Pardee"

As well as the fact that many current odometers are electronic, and not cable/gear driven.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!

Good point--however, we were referring to older cars such as the 1984 Honda mentioned in the original post.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO