Accord automatic 4 vs 5 speed ?

How does one justify the added price of the 5 speed automatic. What does it provide that justifies its price? How is the reliabilty? tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Honda has quite a ways to go to convince me, and much of the world, that they're making a reliable automatic transmission again. They spent 6 years putting out HORRIBLE automatic transmissions, and the people who didn't pay attention ended up paying for the repairs.

Shame on Honda.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Which one is unreliable>

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

ive had 2 civics and an accord all with automatics in them and they all worked great. i don't know where people are getting that thier transmisions are no good. change the fluid in them which is way easier and cheaper than domestic cars and they'll run strong just like the engine.

Reply to
hondaman

The 4 speed auto trans that they hooked to their V6 engine, be it Accord or Odyssey, was pure junk. Everyone knows it, and Honda has a program out on those.

Then they went to a 5 speed auto trans, in the 02 Odyssey and in the 03 Accord. And guess what? They found out a couple years later that they screwed up with that one, too, and announced a $371 million recall--the most expensive in Honda history. They replaced transmissions left and right.

I remember back in 2002 watching trans after trans being replaced at my dealership, and asking my mechanic about it. He said they were replacing 4 or so a week. For the suckers who had to pay for it, they were about $4K each.

Honda screwed up with auto transmissions BIG time, and the fallout continues. Many people in the world don't even know about any of this, and no doubt pay out of their own pockets to fix problems Honda created through just plain bad engineering and assembly.

Honda has a long way to go to convince me that these problems are behind them.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik