800,000 mile 1984 Honda

As well as the fact that many current odometers are electronic, and not cable/gear driven.

Reply to
Larry J.

Good point--however, we were referring to older cars such as the 1984 Honda mentioned in the original post.

Reply to
Jason

My Dad bought an '81 Dodge pickup brand new (with the old Dodge Slant-6, one of the most durable engines ever made), and retired it in '87 with just over 450,000km (just over 281,000 miles). That's pushing 75,000km (around 48,000 miles) per year - he travelled almost weekly from working in Vancouver to our place near 100 Mile House in the Southern Interior, about 500km north, and worked now and then in places such as Prince George (another 400km north) and Fort St. John (yet another 450km north).

He probably would still be driving it, but the body was getting too beat up, the frame was cracked, and after my sister ran it dry of oil, it was drinking a 4-liter jug every time it made the Van-CMile trip, not to mention the hideous noise made by the timing chain rubbing inside its metal cover.

Reply to
Matt Ion

No no, you're thinking of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Well, the main difference is one you sit in, the other you sit on ;-)

Reply to
L Alpert

Ah... nothing new under the sun!

Mike