85 Prelude

I have an 65 Prelude with a sunroof....the sunroof just quit working and I need help finding out where the motor for it is..If anyone can help with this and how to get it out it would be greatly appreciated................

Reply to
Jim

My 84 was the same gen as 85 and the shop manual confirms what I remember (US market). Although I sold the car 15 yrs ago, I still have the shop manual.

The motor is up front in the headliner (above the round plug, just behind the mirror mount). In order to remove the motor:

  1. Remove the headliner (sunvisors, rear view mirror and base, front pillar garnishes, interior light, quarter window trim - each with their own detailed manual sections!)
  2. Remove the rear roof trim and clips then the roof lining.
  3. Remove the motor by removing the 2 bolts and 3 nuts from the motor mount plate.
  4. Disconnect the wire harness at the connector and remove the motor.

Before going to that trouble, what troubleshooting have you done?

  1. Does the motor even try to move?
  2. There's a clutch adjusting nut (cw to increase force, ccw to decrease) which you might be able to see through that round headliner plug.
  3. Wasn't there a thin bent angled wrench for emergency use on that sunroof motor? If so, turning slightly might help "unstick" the motor (but not while the key is on or it might start spinning on you).
  4. There's a 35A sunroof fuse in the underhood fuse box (looks to be screwed down near the middle of the box, above the 65A main fuse), and 2 sunroof relays (open & close) in the same box. Then there's always the dash switch that could be bad too (less likely).

Testing the motor once the connector is disconnected is simply to apply 12 v to the 2 pin motor connector, then reverse the leads to ensure it runs in both directions. Of course this probably means the headliner has to be removed first.

J.

Reply to
J.