'88 Civic starting problem

I used Bosch Platinums in an '84 Nissan 300 ZX I had, and they worked great. Good thing, too, because plug access was the pits. I tried the same style in our '85 turbo Volvo (against the recommendations of thre Volvo gurus) and it worked for a few months before the engine began to misfire. I removed the plugs and saw there were only holes where there had been center electrodes before. Huh.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

the problem i've had with bosch, repeatedly, is that one day they work fine, the next, the car won't start. you spend ages messing about trying to get the things to work, but they won't. although widely hated, i've had better luck with champion than bosch, even though construction quality on bosch appears better.

ngk are by far the best way to go. especially when you consider that there's no price differential. they continue to fire even, when the electrodes are melted to little blobs. amazing things. no idea why, but that seems to be the way it goes.

Reply to
jim beam

Agreed.

I've found that once Bosch plugs get wet, forgetaboutit...

When I owned my first car, a 1940 Chevy back way back, Champions would begin to break down after 5K miles especially when going up hills. Family mechanic warned against Champions so switched to AC and no more problems.

Champions (and probably Bosch) are good to fill the sparkplug holes for storage so that the mud dawbahs don't build nests...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That was my experience in the '70s - misfire under load after a few months. I stopped using Champions and haven't seen fit to give them another chance.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Bravo!