'88 Civic starting problem

Page 3 of 3
jim beam wrote:

Agreed.
I've found that once Bosch plugs get wet, forgetaboutit...
When I owned my first car, a 1940 Chevy back way back, Champions would begin to break down after 5K miles especially when going up hills. Family mechanic warned against Champions so switched to AC and no more problems.
Champions (and probably Bosch) are good to fill the sparkplug holes for storage so that the mud dawbahs don't build nests...
JT

That was my experience in the '70s - misfire under load after a few months. I stopped using Champions and haven't seen fit to give them another chance.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Bravo!
JT

Did they show a purply-blue spark when tested out of the engine? That's the key. If, in a dark garage (or at night), the color is anything but purply- blue, then it's weak. And whay is it weak, well, it appears to depend on a number of factors.

Good question. It's a certain number of startups, but I don't know the number.

Thanks for the attribution, but I think you and your friend pretty much solved this one on your own.
You also appear to have had multiple problems, some of which exacerbated the effects of others. This makes remote troubleshooting difficult.
This thread (and the issues it has highlighted) has given me a couple of more ideas for the "start problems" page, which is in the middle of an extensive rewrite.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

It was a nice thick blue spark visible even outside in the bright daylight (but still under the shadow of the hood).

Well, if nothing else, the link you provided to that schematic was key :)

Heh... it makes local troublshooting difficult too! But I know what you mean, a lot of times when you're there in front of it, you may see or hear or notice something else that gives a clue you won't get remotely. I have the same problem all the time doing remote (phone/IM/email) computer support - something that may take an hour on the phone could be figured out in 5 minutes sitting at the machine.

Cool.