98 Civic domelight doesn't work

After installing Alpine CD/tuner, the dome light does not operate when opening doors. I have since learned that this feature is linked to the stock radio. Is there away around this? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Craig Monroe wrote:

I think the stock radio has a feature that sets up the time delay on the dome light.
When I had a CD tuner installed, the installer put in connecter that essently shorted the dome wires. The dome light now goes on/off immediately when the door is shut (ie: no delay) but otherwise works normally. I was told that it was done but never saw the process so sorry I can't be more specific.
-MVL
Craig Monroe wrote:

-----------------------
You can find the answer thru google.com, or somebody may provide the link. The dome light was 'looped' thru the old stereo, for the sake of the alarm.
'Curly'
Craig Monroe wrote:

The dome light is indeed routed through the factory radio in '96 - '98 Civics. This is because on models with a security system, the control unit is inside the stereo, and the security system is using the dome light wire to monitor if any doors are opened.
The problem gets worse if you have remote keyless entry, as the factory receiver for this is also inside the factory stereo.
Since you only are missing the dome light, the solution is easy. Get part number Part Number HA03B from http://www.scosche.com/ and plug it into the now unconnected alarm / keyless entry plug behind the stereo.
If you feel adventurous, you can do without the Scosche adapter. Just locate the connector inside the dash and short together the LT GRN/RED wire (from door switches) and the LT GRN/BLK wire (to dome light)
======================================================A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
We put an after market stereo in my son's 97 Civic and his dome lights don't work. I only remember unplugging two things though. The main plug has the reverse harness in it and I thought the other was for the CD player. Is there another plug back there? I just don't remember a third plug in on the back. Thanks for any info!
MinnesotaMike wrote:

There shouldn't be a factory harness for a CD player. There should be the 16-pin rectangular connector that you plugged the reverse harness into and another 16 pin rectangular connector for the dome light, keyless entry, alarm etc. according to trim level.
At the back of the factory stereo, there should be an additional, circular DIN receptacle used with the optional cassette player or with a CD player. Unless you have either of these two installed, there will not be a cable for it behind the stereo.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
Thanks. You're right. The CD player did have a round plug. If I plug the dome light, etc. harness back into the original stereo, will that solve my dome light problem? Or do I still need the other plug from Scosche?
MinnesotaMike wrote:

Yes, that works. Putting a jumper in there would do the same, like RANDOLPH said. I'd meter the backside of the connector, then chop up the old radio and take the green connector out and use it as the jumper, making sure it couldn't short to ground.
'Curly'