Civic front end popping

My 2000 Civic has a popping sound on the front drivers side. It pops when you hit a dip, turn or first take off. Sort of like when it's in a bind etc. It will only pop once per event so I don't think it's a cv joint. Anyone seen this or have any idea where to begin? I had a mechanic drive it and tell me he heard it but doesn't know what it is. I don't think he was a very good mechanic.

Thanks

Reply to
Catfish

"Catfish" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Lower ball joint is the first suspect. You don't want that puppy to break while you are on the move.

Get your not-very-good mechanic to pop the balljoint taper so he can wiggle it by hand. Should be very obvious if there's a problem.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

As TeGGeR says, check the lower ball joint. When you described it that was my immediate thought. TeGGeR also has shared his personal experiences at

... if you don't want that sort of experience you should have the ball joints checked Real Soon Now.

One day I was leaving work and found a Caddy sitting lop-sided in the street with traffic cones around it. I asked the security guard about it - he told me the driver was making a u-turn when it happened. He had looked under the car and found the ball joint had broken, so he asked her, "Didn't the car drive kinda funny, maybe shaking [he shook his body] when you went over railroad tracks?" She said, "Yeah! Just like that!"

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'm still riding around on the original lower balljoints on my '88 Accord(w/

241,000 miles) as they've never shown any signs of wear whenever I've replaced the dust boots,etc. I'm always amazed but it's true.

I DID have to replace the upper arm/balljoint on each side though. The balljoints were worn and the popping sound was getting worse. I've also replaced the upper arm/balljoints in the rear of the vehicle.

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

I appreciate the info guys! I am going to attempt to check this out myself. I just borrowed a C Clamp looking tool from Autozone to help remove the ball joint. If there is anything else or helpful pointers I need to know, please pass on.

Again thank you, Catfish

Reply to
Catfish