Civic front end popping

My 2000 Civic has a popping sound on the front drivers side. It pops when you hit a dip, turn or first take off. Sort of like when it's in a bind
etc. It will only pop once per event so I don't think it's a cv joint. Anyone seen this or have any idea where to begin? I had a mechanic drive it and tell me he heard it but doesn't know what it is. I don't think he was a very good mechanic.
Thanks

Lower ball joint is the first suspect. You don't want that puppy to break while you are on the move.
Get your not-very-good mechanic to pop the balljoint taper so he can wiggle it by hand. Should be very obvious if there's a problem.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I appreciate the info guys! I am going to attempt to check this out myself. I just borrowed a C Clamp looking tool from Autozone to help remove the ball joint. If there is anything else or helpful pointers I need to know, please pass on.
Again thank you, Catfish

my immediate thought. TeGGeR also has shared his personal experiences at http://tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html ... if you don't want that sort of experience you should have the ball joints checked Real Soon Now.
One day I was leaving work and found a Caddy sitting lop-sided in the street with traffic cones around it. I asked the security guard about it - he told me the driver was making a u-turn when it happened. He had looked under the car and found the ball joint had broken, so he asked her, "Didn't the car drive kinda funny, maybe shaking [he shook his body] when you went over railroad tracks?" She said, "Yeah! Just like that!"
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

I'm still riding around on the original lower balljoints on my '88 Accord(w/ 241,000 miles) as they've never shown any signs of wear whenever I've replaced the dust boots,etc. I'm always amazed but it's true.
I DID have to replace the upper arm/balljoint on each side though. The balljoints were worn and the popping sound was getting worse. I've also replaced the upper arm/balljoints in the rear of the vehicle.