96 GXE front end popping intermittently

96 GXE (automatic), 126k. Front end brakes were recently redone, calipers are free & clean too. axles/CV's have both been done in the last 12k miles (drivers side done probably 5-6k ago), so i dont suspect them.

there is no predictable frequency to the knock/pop; it can happen with brakes on, off, though it doesnt seem to be tied to applying or releasing brakes. it can happen at low speed on smooth or bumpy driveways/parking lots, or medium speeds on various road conditions. it also doesnt seem to be tied to steering angle, as it can happen while turning or driving straight. ???

I have investigated links in the front end and cant find anything obviously wrong (torn boots, free play of wheel/tire when jacked up, etc). Somehow i remember people saying maxima's had problems with upper strut bushings going out and causing similar problems, but would they sound like that under those same conditions? The rack/boots on it are in OK condition, though there is some fitting underneath the rack that looks like it has been sweating just a little, though no appreciable fluid loss has been noted. Steering wheel feels smooth, on the ground and with both wheels jacked up. Also, i realize balljoints, tie-rod ends, and struts all may be suspect simply from their age (they are all original, 126k miles). ??

any ideas or has anyone had similar problems?

Also, when ball joints or tie rod ends are getting old, how do you know they are at fault if the boots seem intact and they dont have perceptible play when rocking parts all over?

thanks a bunch, Matt

Reply to
y2kbug

If the upper strut mount is bad, you will see some movement of the center bolt in the top of the strut tower when you bounce the car & yes, they do make a pop/clack sort of noise.

You should also look at the lower control arm bushings & the stabilizer bushings. If the control arm bushings are starting to disintegrate or the stabilizer bushings have hardened such that there is air space around them, it will be obvious. If you have the where-with-all to take apart the front of the car, I think the easiest way to check the ball joints is to unbolt them and see just how loose they are.

Reply to
E Meyer

I had an intermittent popping, but it ended up being hood movement caused by wind! It didn't seem to coincide with engine speed, wheel speed, turning or bumps in the road. Puzzled me for months until I just LOOKED at the hood while driving and saw it move ever so slightly. It had developed a slight play and that's all it took.

Reply to
George