CRV Valve Adjustment

I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold it with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were adjusted once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent signs of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically the same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was told???
Thanks.
Alex
The 89 Civic is an SOHC engine, and the CRV is a DOHC engine... so comparing the valve train between the engines is not going to give you the info you need.
My experience is that in most Honda engines, the intake valves get looser over time and the exhaust valves get tighter. It just depends what part of the valve is wearing the most.
I would recommend adjusting that valves whenever the owner's manual suggests it, unless Honda has release a revised schedule.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:51:47 -0500, Jafir Elkurd wrote

Does anyone know the service interval?? We bought this car used with no manuals.
Thanks,
Alex
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:51:47 -0500, Jafir Elkurd wrote

Is there any way to tell if the valves are too tight??
Feeler gauge. I would invest in the service manual, if you plan on doing your own maintenance or repairs. www.helminc.com

-------------------
Like I said . . . If it's got more than 30,000 miles since the last adjustment, you've probably got a valve or two that's getting too tight. I've been happy with the Chilton's manual, which I got from the Honda dealer. Has a red CR-V on the cover. Did you check to see whether your CR-V is making that awful noise when you do U-turns as well?
'Curly'
Alex wrote:

---------------------------
The guy is right. The valves in the first generation CR-V tend to tighten, and will burn valves. So you should get them adjusted asap, since you don't know the history. The manual is wrong anyway, but you should order one from your dealer to save time in front of your computer. The concensus over at hondasuv.com is 50,000 Km, (30,000 miles)Ask to have them adjusted on the 'loose' side of the spec. The sticker is under the hood with the specs on it.You don't need a Honda dealer to do it. . .Just somebody who's good with imports (and the engine has to be COLD).
Same service interval applies to the Dual Pump Fluid in the rear differential, otherwise, you'll get an awful grinding / moaning noise when you turn tight felt-hand U-turns. It may seem to come from the front of the CR-V, but it's caused by the rear diff. It only takes a litre, and is a DIY job. Instructions are at hondasuv.com, and other places.
P.S. Go to the original dealer and get them to print out all the previous service work. They'll do that for you. They want you to be their friend.
'Curly'
I did a google on Honda Service intervals and there was an easy to understand PDF file .Just as detailed as the factory manual.
Tom

twfsa wrote:

Could you provide a link? It would be nice to see if it's correct, or just a reprint of the info that's in the Incorrect Honda manual. . .
'Curly'
I think this is the link https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/user_profile.asp
Tom