headlight conversion for 98 crv?

Are there any headlight conversion kits for my 98 crv that might improve my road illumination? And, do I dare install some 80/100 watt H4 bulbs in the existing headlight assemblies? I am worried about melting down the plastic.

Reply to
B29

"B29" wrote in news:Gt1ah.9738$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Don't do it! It's not the reflectors, but the the existing wiring that will have a hard time of it with the extra current. Honda headlight wiring is marginal.

If you want to improve your lighting, first make sure the lenses are not sandblasted and pitted, and that they are aimed correctly. both items will put light where you don't want it, resulting in less where you do.

Finally, if your bulbs are original, they will have dimmed somewhat from new. Replacing them with new will help.

Actually, there is one more thing that would help: Installing a set of European-market lamps. The beam pattern is far better than ours. You can apparently obtain these at performance shops. If you decide to do this, make certain they are NOT "JDM" (or right-hand-drive) lamps!.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the information. I still am thinking about the large lights. I will put in a relay to handle the load. I will probably just run them for a while and see if the plastic starts getting too hot. I sure don't want to burn up my honda wiring. I'll just run some #12 from my battery to power the low and high beams.

I did put these headlamps in a ford windstar and they worked fine. They did not melt the plastic. That of course does not mean that they would not melt honda plastic.

Reply to
B29