GM tops reliability and regains market share

Page 2 of 2
With recent transmission problems Honda has some catching up to do. Besides, they are now also starting to fall behind on technology. Rear drum brakes on the 2005 Accord? And the interior is in bad need of
updating. Tsk, tsk.

I'd prefer to have drums rather than disks on the rear of my Accord. The primary reason is that they last so much longer and don't have to be serviced/checked every six months.
Brian
Rear drums are only on the DX or LX, EX gets discs. You most not know Honda's too well. I'm most everybody on here has owned GM cars in the past. Thats why we have Honda's now. I have worked in a Chevy garage for 33 years. I see GM at its best and worst. Honda is having a bit af trouble with tranmissions at present. Right now in our shop in Phoenix we have 6 Malibu's and Impala's all waiting for new engines. 3.5 V-6 and we have already done 4 others, and we are just one dealer. Imagine how mant other engines are failing nationwide. Crankshaft key breaks and pistons hit valves. All have less than 3000 miles , owners not happy. Any body can make errors when building cars. But GM is the master at it. Dont forget what G.M.C. stands for, Garage Mechanics Companion. hehehe
In article

Hello, Great post. I had lots of trouble out of Chevy Monza. That was my last one. I only have two questions for those people that love or own a GM vehicle. If GM truly believes their vehicles are great, why do they place Honda engines in at least one of the Saturn models? Don't they have any confidence in the engines made by GM? Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

A....._Monza_? What model year was that, "Jason"?
zonie wrote:

LX V6 also has disks in back
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Funny, my 2004 has disc in the back....
The market sets car prices, not the manufacturers. That being said, both the new and the used car market prices HON/TOY products to last about 150,000 miles. Sure, many go much longer and still have some residual worth at 150,000 miles. At 150,000 miles, they become "might last longer" vehicles...but not a great bet. But for GM/FORD the market prices them to go only to 100,000 miles before it's worth merely a residual "might last longer" value. That's why a loaded CR-V can command $23,000 while you can find a similar Ford Escape that they can only get $18,000 for (after all the rebate shenanigans). The market is recognizing that the Escape approaches crap at 100,000 miles while the CR-V probably won't approach crap until 150,000 miles. The HON/TOY is actually cheaper to own. Here the 'Scape costs 18 cents/mile while the CR-V costs 15 cents/mile. And while most people don't own a car from showroom to junkyard, this same pricing pattern will show up at resale time so, again, even for the 2-3 year owner, the HON/TOY is cheaper than the GM/FORD to own. (I will say that with the depth of the GM/FORD rebates today, their cost per mile is approaching that of HON/TOY. But, of course, cutting prices enough to compensate people for this 50,000 durability gap is killing both GM and FORD in the process).

the
go
the
costs
I don't know, I think it's the unions that are killing the big three. It costs GM and Ford too much to make a piece of shit here in the States.
It's unions, management, better product from Japan and the reliance on huge temporary profits from gas hogs.

I have to disagree with "better product from Japan"....many Honda's and Toyotas are made in the USA or Canada and hold up just as well as their Japanese made counterparts. Japanese engineering and preparation seem to be superior to the American counterparts. I also take the stance in support of buying "American made" that I would rather support the American workers who build Pilots, Accords, Civics, etc, than the corporate pockets of GM/Ford, etc, as the American factory workers need the money more than the suits in Detroit. That said, if I buy a Honda or Toyota built here, I am still supporting the American economy and feeding the mouths of families who rely on that paycheck.

Good point. I guess I should have just said that "Honda and Toyota make better products" and left it at that.

Even with the alleged decline in quality of Toyota and Honda vehicles, I would still trust them over product offerings from GM, Ford and Daimler-Chrysler. Also, I find most vehicles from Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti to be far more desirable than similar offerings from Detroit's Big 3. I realize that this is just a matter of personal preference, but that's the way I feel about it. And I make no apologies to the fans of domestic vehicles. They can drive what they want and I will do the same. I know full well what types of vehicles I trust and enjoy driving, and it just so happens that they are all engineered and manufactured by the Asian Big 3--either overseas or here in the U.S.A. I'm the one that has to pay for the vehicle and its maintenance, so I could care lesser than less what anyone thinks about what I choose to drive.
Ron M.
Don't kid yourself , Japanese companies may be employing American workers . That's all well and good , but , their profits go straight to Tokyo. -Dana