Grade Logic Control?

I have a new Honda Accord V-6 with an Automatic Transmission, and have noticed that the transmission seems to downshift whenever I am coming to a stop. From what I have read, it seems like this has to do with
the Grade Logic Control. However, it displays this behavior even when I am just coasting on flat ground. The car will downshift when it hits a certain speed, and I will feel a the transmission grab. Can someone tell me if this is indeed due to the GLC? Is this normal behavior? Also, I can't see how having the transmission absorb that momentum everytime the car is coming to a stop could possibly be good for it? I haven't been able to find any good information on the GLC, or how it could relate to this behavior. Thank you...
Also, from what I've read, GLC is meant to eliminate excess shifting, but it seems to increase the number of gear changes because it does it everytime the speed of the car changes by more than 15-20 mph.
Stretch wrote:

I have the exact same car and I've noticed the same thing. It is sometimes a bit annoying: when I am slowing and braking it will down shift and it feels as if I suddenly stepped hard on the breaks. There is one freeway exit I take every day that is curving. The sudden deceleration causes the car to lurch sideways. I learned I have drive this slower than my previous car to compensate for the GLC behavior (I'm concerned with safety not speed).

I believe this is the GLC. Basically, it appears to me to work as follows:
Reducing the gas pedal position tells the GLC you want to slow the car. So the GLC downshifts as soon as it can to help slow the car.
Most automatics upshift when ever possible: thus upshifting when releasing the gas pedal going down hill; ie: making you go faster down hill. The GLC automatically does what experienced drivers know to do: downshift when going down hill to use engine braking.
In general I like the GLC behavior.

Yes, I agree it cannot be great for the car but Honda introduced in some models at least 8 years ago. One would imagine they have enough experience to do this right.

In so far as the downshifting being hard on the transmission, it wouldn't be any harder (in my opinion) than downshifting a manual transmission equipped vehicle. I seldom use the brakes on my vehicles until I want to come to a stop. I let the engine and transmission do the work they were intended to do.
Brian