Highest MPG for Non-Hybrids?

Page 2 of 4

You're absolutely correct.
But even very slight knocking that would cause no damage to the engine will dramatically increase NO emissions. Knock sensors, once rare, became ubiquitous as part of the OBD-II emissions management system.

Bedtime reading, anyone? I was fine until I got to the flowcharts. :^(
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Pszemol wrote:

LOL
Sheesh guys, it's not that horrible! :) With a manual transmission, you DO get to apply the gas. Peak efficiency with a fixed valve timing engine generally occurs in the middle RPM range, at 30~70% of full throttle. This gives you more than enough power to hold your own vs. average traffic. Driving the 40MPH multi-lane streets, I short shift with moderate throttle, and work up to a 'good shove in 4th' that equates to ~45mph. From there, it's all about second guessing any upcoming lights. If I'm likely to catch a red light, I'll slow (or occasionally speed up a little!) so as to maximize the odds of it being green when I arrive. This has more to do with paying attention than putting along at absurdly slow speeds.

:P
Oh, dear! You've been watching those poor OCD afflicted hypermiler fools on the news. I try not to torture myself, my car, or anyone else on the road.

Mother Earth was screwed the day we made fire. :)

I'm getting ~50+% better mileage than several people I know who also own 4th gen. Accords. At 4$ a gallon, the savings was about $20 a tank.
Why prematurely blown tires? Higher pressure results in less heating and lower operating temperatures. As mentioned, my tires wear more evenly at 36~38PSI than at the factory suggested pressure. Tire life is enhanced.
And why on earth does everyone assume that 'over' inflated tires have no grip in the rain? =:o
-Moo
I keep a mile log of each fill up for my 2004 VP. Pretty much 34 mpg whole year over last three years- includes winte/summer ethanol mixes and city/highway/mountain driving. On a summer road trip I might get 42.
I have to watch out for single-fillup numbers. I just let the gas pump shut off when it does. Sometimes it might shut off early or late, skewing the single tank number by up to a gallon wither way. It might take three fillups to average out.
Anyone driving a coupe or sedan that gets less than 35 mpg is a leach on society.

You are so ridiculous...
Why 35mpg and not 55mpg? Because your junky honda happens to be just over 35 line?
I drive 2004 honda accord coupe... In what way am I a leach on society more than you are?
At least I am not cheating Carfax to get my fee back...

Because 35 is easily obtained today.

You have not seen my Honda.

It was written partly tongue in cheek, as a partial response to by someone else that this is about what God intended. ;-)

? You have the wrong person.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Then why aren't you on a scooter that gets 65mpg?
Oh, I see--YOU get to set the qualifications for what KIND of car people should be driving, and--interestingly enough--that would be YOUR car.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Go ahead, put your money where your mouth is--buy a scooter and quit being a "leach" (sweetheart, you meant "leech") on society.

I am not setting anything.

Easier is very relative term... Easier maybe for you bot not for everybody.

I see...

My appologies in this case.

It is an easy matter to buy a coupe or sedan that gets 35 mpg or more. We disagree.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

why are you bothering with this guy? you'd get more sense from an a.l.i.c.e. bot.
wrote

Jim, what's your problem?
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Name 10.
OK, I'll make it easy: name 5.
Now name 5 that people want as their sole car, to do everything from grocery runs to driving over the mountains and through the snow to see their parents/children, or to take their children to see grandma.

Why isn't one enough? Make sense or be ignored.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it's an "EASY matter" then there must be choice involved.
If there's no choice involved--that is, if there's only one--then it's not easy. It's like Russia during the cold war. You want something? We have one--whether you like it or not.
Now YOU make sense or be ignored. Name 5 coupes/sedans that get 35mpg or more. We'll start with the easy part.
Then we'll move on to "name 5 that people want as their sole car". Because as you know, it doesn't make sense to have more than one car. You buy the one that makes the most sense overall for your situation, and which minimizes to the greatest degree your need for renting or borrowing something different to do a specialized task.
Now, make sense or be ignored. (My guess is you're already being ignored plenty.)

So one is enough.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nope.
Make sense or be ignored.
You still haven't come up with EVEN ONE, let alone 5, let alone 5 that people would actually buy.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I disagree, since I pay full retail dollar for every ounce of fuel I use. Nobody's giving me the gas at their expense.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I meant that excessive use of oil promotes war and environmental problems.

Then move out from the city and live in a cave in the mountains!