Honda CRV - Timing Belt - Valve/Piston Clearance...

Hi, we just bought a 1998 CRV (128,000 km) and took it to the dealer for a checkup - they mentioned that Honda reccommends changing the timing belt (based on its age). My question is... is there enough
clearence between the valves and piston that if the belt breaks, it won't damage the engine beyond repair??? thanks...
No, this CRV is an interference engine. If the TB fails, the valves may very well be damaged. Do not gamble on this. Either find out when the TB was last changed and post back, or just do the change and consider it an investment.
See the following for documentation on the TB interval for your CRV: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure "56&location_id487
Did you obtain an owner's manual with this CRV? It has a guide for when things like the TB need maintenance.

replacing the water pump and idler/tensioner at the same time. The OP in that thread suffered a water pump failure that destroyed his nearly new timing belt (and the engine, of course). Another regular told of his Toyota that suffered timing belt failure 4000 km after the belt had been changed because the tensioner seized. I know some people insist that replacing those parts on suspicion is a waste of money, but what a heartbreaker it is!
Mike

I thought everyone--dealers, people here, independent shops--agreed that doing the water pump simultaneous to the TB was a good idea.
I think there's less agreement on the tensioner.
wrote

I was still uncertain about the tensioner for the same reason the objectors cited: it is smooth and rides on the back of the belt. But since the sad tale was from one of the valuable contributors in the Subaru forum I'm going to pay attention. If only the things were more reasonably priced. :-(
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The 1998 CR-V manual has at least two big mistakes in the maintenance schedule. Both the valve adjustment and the replacement of the Dual Pump Fluid (rear differential) should be done every 30,000 miles.(but get a manual anyway, saves typing)
'Curly'
How many miles in the real world is 128,000km?
Tom

twfsa wrote:

NO clearance $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!