honda quality parts advice

from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality part or maybe what to stay away from maybe something not listed ?

Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR, Mountain

Brake pads :: Honda, Nisin Prem, Akebono, Nisin Silver, PBR, NPN, Bendix

HO2S :: Honda, NTK, Denso, Bosch, Walker

TIA robb

Reply to
Rob B

id toss in raybestos too. to be honest, though. ive had good luck on all other cars with whatever the "lifetime" brake pad is. save the receipt, get new pads for as long as you own the car.

honda only. mine was $220 at the dealer, but was plug and play. no stripping/crimping wires.

Reply to
SoCalMike

never heard of lifetime brake pad, i'll look into that

high thanks for response

my dealer wants 274 which is close to price

so my worst price for (front rotors, pads, h02s} is 485 the best is 128 which is reason for post... 350 is alot of quality wiggle room ? i do not mind paying for quality, i do not want to overpay on the "probably ok" stuff

thanks again robb

Reply to
Rob B

c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts (crap/not crap)

from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality part or maybe what to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?

Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR, Mountain Brake pads :: Honda, Nisin Prem, Akebono, Nisin Silver, PBR, NPN, Bendix HO2S :: Honda, NTK, Denso, Bosch, Walker

TIA robb

Reply to
Rob B

"Rob B" wrote

(crap/not crap)

part or maybe what

Mountain Dunno.

PBR, NPN, Bendix

In the future I plan to go with strictly Honda OEM. From my reading, the "lifetime" pads use material that is harder and so lasts longer, but also as a result shortens the life of the rotor. The cost of Honda OEM pads (around $40 online for my 91 Civic) is low enough that I think they're worth it.

= heated oxygen sensor

(1) From my reading the aftermarket O2 sensors can be persnickety; and (2) an OEM sensor might be had for a very competitive price at

. Atleast, for my 91 Civic, it was a steal at about $45altogether. Very good service and shipping.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote Rob

P.S. my 91 Civic's OEM sensor is made by Nippon Denso, now called IIRC just Denso.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:TbSzf.3111$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Just ND, actually.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

for my accord i went with

bremo rotors with slots, drilled holes and carbon metallic brand brake pads

and i am soooooooo happy

just be gentle the first 200 miles let them breakin correctly

Rob B wrote:

Reply to
Ray

"TeGGeR®" wrote

now

Actually, the site I posted before lists the manufacturer as just "Denso." The packaging for my 91 Civic's sensor says just "Denso" on it. The history of Denso Corp. states that NipponDenso Co. became Denso Corp. in 1996:

Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:TbSzf.3111$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

ND *IS* Denso now!

Wish they'd quit changing their name.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Rob B" wrote in news:wNRzf.2651$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The cheaper the rotors, the worse the steel. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

The cheap Chinese shit is the worst. I've seen big potholes flaked off the friction surfaces of one year-old rotors. Makes the most horrendous vibration.

Brembo is supposed to be good. Never used them, though.

The Honda-branded ones are probably Sumitomo (it will say on the back). Honda also uses Akebono and Nissin depending on the application.

Nissin is now owned by Ferodo.

If you're referring to NISSIN, Nissin is an OEM to Honda. It's possible the "premium" pads you list are a similar composition to OEM.

At least some Accord calipers are Akebono.

If it were me, I'd go with Nissin and get the most expensive ones, guessing they're probably closest to OEM.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Elle" wrote in news:kvXzf.3325$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Already posted a correction.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Elle" wrote in news:kvXzf.3325$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I think what was causing my confusion here is Denso's penchant for putting their "ND" logo on everything. That has not changed since I can ever remember. For some reason I started thinking the company name itself was ND.

Oops.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote

penchant for putting

I can ever

My original, 1991 oxygen sensor was stamped ND. The new, Denso one (purchased in 2004) was not.

Reply to
Elle

Not to nitpick too much, but aren't rotors made of cast iron?

Reply to
Chopface

there are more different kinds of "cast iron" than you can shake a stick at. add to that the differences in casting quality, machining quality, material quality, heat treatment quality, etc., and suddenly, yes, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Reply to
jim beam

rotors are cheap :) lifetime brake pads are cheaper! im still running the OEM pads (51k miles) on my 98 civic hatch. dunno what ill go with when its time.

been using the lifetime pads on the girlfriends tacoma. she gets about

30k miles out of em, which is bout average for HER style of driving, and that its a RWD truck w/ A/T.

they seem a little noisier, and make that "grunch" sound easier when slipping the brake at a light. lots of brake dust, but her OEM pads were kinda dusty too.

last time i changed em, her brakes were making noise. after taking the wheels off and pads out they still had some meat on em. called autozone, they said theyd swap em out regardless. had the receipt, but all they needed to look up her info was her phone #.

it was a nice feeling getting a set of new brake pads handed to us. they kept the box for the old ones, of course. but yeah... OEM are a bit better.

over the course of 300k miles, its $400 for OEM vs. $20 for aftermarket. doesnt factor in the cost of rotors, and if the OEM only lasted 30k and these still have some meat after 30k, then im guessing theyre a harder compound.

but after 30k, the OEM ones were cracked and worn down to the backing plate.

Reply to
SoCalMike

quality

Silver,

my

and

of

for

it.

still running

That's right, rub it in. :-)

she gets about

of driving, and

Ha ha. :-)

easier when

OEM pads were

after taking the

called autozone,

but all they

handed to us. they

are a bit better.

for aftermarket.

Oh, I get it...

My 91 Civic's original, OEM pads were gone after two years,

43k miles.

I hear you about the rotors. We had this discussion with Steve H. and others not too long ago. I checked then at the online parts sites and saw that OEM rotors were expensive but aftermarkets were not, and a few people have since said aftermarket rotors are just fine. So go ahead and take a cut on an old rotor; t'ain't nothing to replace them. That was ultimately my feeling after the whole thread, anyway.

'Course, I'm thinkin' my 91 Civics rotors are going to the grave with it, given the way I drive (lotta braking with the manual transmission and engine). I know some here do not approve.

I paid $42 for "lifetime warranty" Raybestos pads in 2002. Still have them. I don't think that means much. I would have paid about the same for Honda OEMs then, but maybe they wouldn't have lasted as long.

lasted 30k and

theyre a harder

the backing

I reckon next brake pad change, and another 50k miles or so, I'll have more to say, as I do plan to go OEM then.

My Civic's rotor thickness is still plenty in spec, after

173k miles. The other rotor specs (evenness, runout, scoring) are off or I'm sure a bit off.
Reply to
Elle

Chopface wrote in news:dqpl3c$n2c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.doit.wisc.edu:

I don't know how to tell the difference between cast iron and cast steel. Any tips?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

ugh, that's hard except for one big thing - there's not much "cast steel" about compared to cast iron. usually, the word "steel" is reserved for low carbon iron/carbon alloy, with other stuff thrown in for various reasons, and which has been worked, like rod or sheet or strip & so on. but there are cast steels, and they're usually used for complex shapes as an alternative to machining and where cost is less of a factor. cast iron is high carbon [lower melting point, castability, etc.] and used where CHEAP is the order of the day. but there's no easy differentiator unless you have a microscope - you need to know what you're looking for and know the component's application.

Reply to
jim beam