Irritating Brake Pedal - 2000 Ody

My brake pedal goes below the level of my accelerator at times. Pumping doesn't seem to do anything. I've had it checked about three times. There is some relief when they readjust the emergency brake,
but only for a couple of days. I was told this condition is ok, but it's dangerous! When you move from the accelerator to the brake, it's very easy to press both down at the same time. Additionally, I swear it seems the brake is actually hitting the floor, on occasion. It stops, but I really get worried it's not going to stop.
Anyone else had these experiences? If so, and it was corrected, I'd sure appreciate your input. Heck, I'd appreciate anyone's input, if they can help. Thanks

Have you checked the brake fluid level in the system?

Your long pedal travel is a consequence of poor or inept maintenance/servicing practices.
Have the fluid bled with new. You may have air in the system.
Do you have aftermarket pads? They can cause longer-than-normal pedal travel due to poorly-formulated friction materials.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

This could also be the ABS modulator. Does the pedal feel better after the ABS has activated? If so, the ABS modulator is faulty.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

How do you figure that?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Considering the ABS is just a pass-through until activated, that's why I asked.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Ray wrote:

if the self-adjusters are working properly, that wouldn't make any difference.

you either have air in the system, or your master cylinder is leaking. either way, take it to a repair shop that knows what they're doing and get this fixed asap. your current shop obviously doesn't. this is a safety issue - pay the extra money if that's what it takes to have it done right.
I've had it checked, bled, brakes adjusted and changed in a very reputable shop. Also had it checked by local Honda dealer. All act like it is normal. Maybe it is, but I've owned many cars in the last 51 years. It wasn't normal in any of the other cars I've owned.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:05:46 -0800, jim beam

Ray wrote:

ok. let's be more specific about the symptoms then. if you have a slow leak, light pedal pressure can indeed cause the pedal to sink to the floor. the reason is that the seal isn't forced to conform to the cylinder wall and thus fluid can squeeze on by. but when stomped on, it seals just fine because the higher initial pressure forces the rubber to conform, thus it seals, thus it doesn't leak. and this is what happens with an inexperienced tech - they sit down, stomp on the pedal, "there's no problem", you get charged, and nothing is fixed.
is that your experience?

I've had them test drive it and I suspected they might not be checking it correctly. I then took the technician out and showed him what was happening.....I don't know. Maybe I'm just over reacting to this, but I am very worried I'm going to lose those brakes, at any time.
Are there any 2000 Ody owners that can let me know how far down their brake pedal goes, in relation to the accelerator?
stilllost
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 05:38:58 -0800, jim beam

Ray wrote:

i told you what the problem is - get it fixed. and if your "reputable" technician thinks they can fix a problem like this on a honda by adjusting the parking brakes, they're worse then useless. never ever use them again.
to repeat, get this fixed. pony up, take it to the dealer, and tell them to replace the master cylinder.