Made in China ... I'm pissed !

Page 6 of 6
On 10/14/2010 06:26 AM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

that's because you either haven't done any homework, or because you're shopping for the cheap crap.

no, the "u.s." branded tire, made in china, is sold at exactly the same price as it was when it was made here.
just like your chinese made toothpaste and tooth brush costs exactly the same now its made in china as it did made here.
seriously - this is just a fabulous win-win for our political and corporate masters! get rid of the unions and corporate pension obligations, thus changing the political landscape - and make more money!!!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Well, that leads back to an actual Honda question. My old 91 Accord, I'm still figuring out whether to keep it going - well, it's going fine but has all these minor problems and looks like shit.
Anyway, it needs tires. I only drive it around 6000 miles per year, and not much of that is high speed. So I really don't need tires that will last 60,000 miles, nor high performance ones. I think that I really do just need cheap crap as long as they're safe.
So, for 185 70R14, what would you recommend? I'm thinking of just going to the local junkyards and looking for a set of decent used tires.
On 10/15/2010 05:23 AM, dgk wrote:

so? unless it's an adequacy thing, why do you care? does it let in water when it rains? does it not filter out the gold diggers?

ok, go used. i've done that before. just keep the best ones on the rear, and make sure tires on each axle are the same.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

It does a GREAT job filtering out the gold diggers. No on would think I was really a rich guy. Well, rich in those non-monetary things in life.
I'll take a look and see what they junkyards are offering. I think the date on the tire is pretty important?

You could always go to someplace like tirerack.com to do some comparison shopping and review ratings.

Thanks, that's useful. Can I get the tires shipped to one of their local installers? Getting those shipped to home or the office would be a bit of a pain.

You can find local installers on their web site. They ship directly to them....and you pay the installer for the mounting and balancing. I've used them twice....a lot of reviews and ratings for all kinds of tires, including cumulative total miles driven from all reviews (some of the more popular tires ratings are in the millions of miles). If anything, it's good for reading ratings and comparison price shopping, even if you buy elsewhere.

Yes, I read through it and it seems like a good idea. They even have the prices charged for mounting and stems and such. Thanks, I'll probably do this.

No problem....it should work out fine.....