Made in China ... I'm pissed !

Those Chinese made A320s will be sold to Chinese airlines --- at least initially. But still, that just means fewer European made planes will be exported there. That will still translate to fewer French and German jobs.

Reply to
Cameo

I think all that remains here is made by the Amish. :-(

Reply to
Cameo

Just don't get all preachy about how we support democracy all over the world. We overthrow government after government to install governments who will bless our corporate rulers. It isn't about democracy, freedom, mom, or apple pie. They don't hate us for our freedom, they hate us because of things that we've done to them.

Reply to
dgk

I can explain it. It's cheaper to do it that way. As long as the bottom line is better for the corporation, screw America first. And those corporations are now allowed to spend as much as they want on our elections. Gee, I wonder which party they're pouring money into.

Reply to
dgk

how on earth can that be??? you feed the the things into a drum roaster, then spray them with saline. that's an automated process [or at least, it should be]. if it's automated, where is the labor saving? if there's no labor saving, wtf is the point in shipping to china so they can pollute our food with their their toxic waste tainted salt?

nixon was fundamentally wrong when he spoke of "engaging" china and portraying it as a huge potential new sales market. chinese peasants had no money to buy anything we made. he could have "engaged" africa or india if that was the objective.

however, if nixon's agenda was to open up a compliant, subservient and easily exploited new union-free labor market, he was right on [i mean, where did we turn to get our railroad labor? the africans and indians don't stand for that]. oh brother, he was right on. and the chinese rulers for their part have not only embraced the opportunity, taken the ball and run with it, they're off in the next parish when it comes to jumping on the opportunity it's afforded them for intellectual property theft and industrialization.

as i said before, if you have an industrial manufacturing capability, you have a war capability. if you export your industrial manufacturing capability, you export your war capability. not a very smart move in my opinion.

Reply to
jim beam

As long as oil is cheap, freight transportation costs are essentially negligible.

Along that line, it's common for apparrel & household textiles to be shipped back and forth through numerous countries from start to finish.

Cotton can be ground in one country and combined with polyester made in another country which was made from oil out of the mid east. The yrans can be made in yet another country and the goods can be knit or woven in yet still another country. Dyeing and finishing can be done elsewhere and the pieces cut in one country while sewn in another.

Bottom line, there are essentially no vertically integrated companies anymore (outside of perhaps China for some items).

Reply to
clams

shipping doesn't factor into it if there is no factory to ship to.

right, but you have it done in places that have the capacity [1st] and do it cheap [2nd]. shipping factors into the latter. you don't make choices only based on shipping costs unless you have a number of choices available to you and it's simply a matter of competitive contracts.

in san francisco, there is still a lot of textile manufacturing. all chinese owned. sweatshops. they do work on contract for companies like patagonia. [and man, you should see the conditions. unbelievable that they're legal. if they're legal.] and as you say, companies like american apparel manufactures here too. so again, how can those guys make it work, but others can't? look at how these manufacturers manage their union situation and you'll find your answer.

as for shipping, the cost per ton of rail vs. truck can be 5x cheaper for rail on some bulk commodities. but how many truck drivers are union vs railroad workers?

it all comes down to union management. if management can handle its labor, and thus unions, we've retained those industries. where management is bad and can't handle its unions, particularly in a political climate where union destruction has been seen as paramount and de-industrialization is regarded as acceptable collateral damage, then we've lost them.

we should look to germany for how they reconciled their union requirements with their manufacturing requirements. de-industrializing and thus wrecking our national military security just to get rid of unionized labor and it's tendency to vote "the wrong way" is just unbelievably retarded.

Reply to
jim beam

Agreed, but without cheap oil, it would be prohibitive to ship products numerous times during the manufacturing cycle.

With transportation costs so cheap (nearly negligible) they can afford to go most anywhere to find the cheapest labor for each stage of the production.

Reply to
clams

i'll bet you got charged the same as for your previous set of american-made tires too.

Reply to
jim beam

transportation is far from cheap dude. for low value items, they can be a significant percentage of the finished item cost. maybe even 30%.

Reply to
jim beam

Great! I have a feeling that the majority of Iranians now would prefer the former Shah's rule over the current Islamic rulers. I also doubt the majority of Iraquis hate us for getting rid off Saddam.

Reply to
Cameo

Driven by the almighty dollar, not the almighty.

Reply to
Stewart

A good deal of them may not even care. When they wake up in the morning, it's SOS for them.

Reply to
Stewart

Assuming they get to wake up in the morning:

"The estimate that over a million Iraqis have died received independent confirmation from a prestigious British polling agency in September 2007. Opinion Research Business estimated that 1.2 million Iraqis have been killed violently since the US-led invasion." -

clams

Give me a break! This is not an objective, non-partisan group as the want you to believe from their mission statement:

"Just Foreign Policy is an independent and non-partisan membership organization dedicated to reforming U.S. foreign policy by mobilizing and organizing the broad majority of Americans who want a foreign policy based on diplomacy, law and cooperation. ..."

Look at their Board: full with "progressive" leftists, such as Julian Bond and the former Chicago 7 Tom Hayden. I wouldn't believe even a question from them, not to mention an answer.

Reply to
Cameo

Maybe jb can chime in here and tell us how many Honda's were lost in this invasion? Or enlighten us on how to buy a Honda in Iraq?

jb?

Reply to
JD

When we overthrew the elected democratic government (read that a few times, just to make sure you understand what we did), we trained the Shah's dreaded secret police (Savak). We taught them how to torture and kill all opposition to the Shah's rule.

What they couldn't kill was the religious leaders, not without creating instant rebellion. We eliminated all reasonable, secular opponents of the Shah, and left only the most fundamentalist religious opposition. When they finally overtrhew the Shah, there were no democratic or secular leaders to temper the revolution. In every way possible, we are entirely responsible for what happened in Iran. I don't blame them one bit for hating us.

Reply to
dgk

Shoot the messenger? So maybe we just caused a half a million deaths?

Reply to
dgk

Well put.

Reply to
dgk

Thus spake "Forrest" :

I don't know of many street tires that are "made in U.S.A." anymore. The Kelly Springfield plant that was in Tyler, TX (where I went to high school) was sold to Goodyear about 10 or 12 years ago. They closed the plant on January 2. They tires they made there are now being made mostly in Mexico (which may now be a mistake).

Did you buy the tires because there was some direct indication that they actually were made here? Or did you assume they were? The first WOULD be "bait & switch". The second is cavet emptor.

I'd bitch to Pep Boys and Cooper. But those $400 tires would probably run $650 if they were made in, say, Tyler.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron