Oil cap left off after oil change

My sister just found that the oil cap was left off of her 1999 Accord during the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT,
the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?
Ray
Ray wrote:

the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT, the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?

grit ingestion. otoh, if a driver doesn't check the oil for a whole month and doesn't notice the omission, i'm not very sympathetic.
regarding the last question, no, there's no service bulletin for inability to follow basic maintenance procedures.
jim beam wrote:

the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT, the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?

Steam cleaning the engine compartment is probably the best thing to do. Now wait a minute... if rubber is damaged by oil then how do you explain why there is grease inside CV Boots, Ball Joints, etc. not to mention rubber hoses and so on that carry oil.
Alan wrote:

the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT, the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?

are oil resistant. others aren't. radiator hoses, windshield seals, brake hoses, are typically rubbers that aren't, or at least, aren't rated for it, even if they appear to hold up ok for a while.
steam cleaning the engine compartment, while it produces quick results, is a great way to cause electrical problems up the wazoo and contaminate the brake system. better to use engine cleaner and a gentle hose, avoiding the brake reservoir.

Yes indeed - natural rubber tends to soak up oil, creating a goo of rubbery oil (or is it oily rubber?) Just about all the synthetics are okay with petroleum. In addition, natural rubber can handle all sorts of synthetic lubricants, including most lubricating greases.
I'm a convert to Simple Green for engine cleaning. No big reason - I just like it.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

corrosion.

I wonder if it would corrode some of my stress away? {;^0

I didn't know that! Googling produced quite a few hits, including http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9216.0.html It appears the hazard comes from prolonged exposure, in this case soaking chains in Simple Green. I haven't been actively riding for some time now (as my body shape proclaims!) but when I did I soaked my chains overnight in motor oil, not water-based stuff.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

The phrase "all synthetics" would be a stretch, as there are many polymers based products that are not rated for use with petroleum products (most, actually), though those used by the auto industry are, by design.

the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT, the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?

I drove Chevys and Fords for years that blew oil. Wash it off and get on with your life. Some stuff that would have rusted will last a little longer. Everything else will be fine.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

the oil change over a month ago. Surprisingly, it was less than a quart low. BUT, the oil had attacked her windshield wiper blade and hood gasket. She wants the store where she had the oil changed to replace what might have been damaged, but what else might that be? Has Honda ever put out a service bulletin listing what might be damaged by oil?

Hmmm ... that's an idea of how to get rid of unlocatable squeaks.