Oil in radiator - 1998 Accord

I have 85,000 miles. 4 cylinder & 5-speed manual. I take good care of the car and never had any problems. Did the maint and a few small repairs like CV boots, etc. The radiator fan must have failed an it overheated rapidly. I shut it down fast.

The car was fine but I had oil in the radiator. I took it in. I had the head rebuilt, new head gaskets, new radiator, radiator fan, changed the timing belt, hoses and other things. I spent about $2700.

I got the car back and drove it for about two weeks then saw coffee on the driveway. I checked the radiator and had coffee again. I took it back to the mechanic and now he is pushing a rebuilt motor at cost - $900 and $600 in labor. He obviously is feeling a little guilty. The car is in good shape. Sadly, we did not go down the replace the engine path first. He thinks there might be a crack in the block.

Any suggestions? I doubt any stop leak stuff will help. I can flush the radiator but the oil can get back in fast. I am not sure if the oil or water is under more pressure.

The oil leak prodicts that swell gaskets will not work. I spoke to CRC who make nano technology stop leak products going in via the radiator but they said if the oil comes into the cooling too fast - their product will not work.

I loved my Honda but I never had a car have a catastrophic failure like this.

No dealers have Accord VPNs with 5 speeds and the price went up. I am pretty disgusted with Honda.

Reply to
Fabiorossi5

most likely. blown gasket on a honda rarely leads to oil in the water. either a crack or incorrect assembly.

no.

it's unfortunate, but statistically, it's rare. very rare. if you want to keep the car, don't use a rebuilt motor. they don't last that long and are too expensive for what you get. it's best to buy a used jdm import engine from japan. low mileage. guarantee. will work just fine. have your mechanic replace it and have words with him about all the money you wasted on uneconomic repairs last time around. motor price in the $500-$700 range. unless you're doing the repair yourself, the economics of trying to repair a honda motor just don't work - simply replace.

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

I see you've posted this identical message independently to rec.autos.tech, BUT at the same time have (correctly) crossposted to two Honda groups.

Bad, stupid boy. Have you ever considered that you may be cheating some readers out of the information posted to rec.autos.tech?

It so happens that a rec.autos.tech poster named Ted Mittelstaedt has given the best advice thus far on this subject. Readers who venture not beyond the Honda groups remain unenlightened by Ted's nuggets of wisdom.

This is rich. You screw up your car through bad maintenenace, and then you're "disgusted" with Honda.

Reply to
Tegger

that means me - i have ZERO interest in gm, frod or chrysler.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:UpmdnTx4WuzBLhHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

But there are several actual working professional techs in that group. One of them is a Toyota mechanic who also has extensive Honda experience.

There is a lot of excellent general automotive information posted there regularly.

Reply to
Tegger

and a /lot/ of utter garbage.

for instance, i swung on over to read the mittelstadt comment you referenced and noticed a thread titled "calculate diesel fuel consumption". 4 days later, no one has pointed out that it /is/ possible to calculate consumption if injector flow rates and pulse widths are known. if the injection is common rail/electronic, that can be scoped.

so yes, there's a lot of service technician level activity, but that doesn't interest me. my jets get lit by things like graham w's write-up on igniter failure, not some buick dude bleating about his brakes.

Reply to
jim beam