Old brake fluid is bad brake fluid

We have all heard the admonitions to dispose of remaining brake fluid once we are done with the open can, but check out this recent post on alt.autos.gm:
<quote> Picked up a bottle of brake fluid off a shelf in the gargage yesterday and heard a funny noise. There were three little balls of ice floating around in there.
Never seen that before.
This was left over fluid from September 2004 when I changed front brake hoses on the Bonneville. </quote>
Michael Pardee wrote:

Yes, the stuff will absorb water even though the cap is on tight. I suppose freezing to fractionate out the water might be one way to get rid of it but I still wouldn't use the remaining brake fluid.
Eric